MEN'S BASKETBALL: Odio's Energy Jumps Out Against Clemson

Published: Sunday, February 3, 2013

Updated: Sunday, February 3, 2013 22:02

Odio

There were two major career highs set in the Boston College men’s basketball win over Clemson on Saturday. Joe Rahon led the team with 26 points and made six-of-seven from beyond the arc. But the second may have been an even more important development for head coach Steve Donahue, as Eddie Odio was on the court for 29 minutes and continued his high-energy play of late.

The sophomore from Miami averaged six minutes a game as a freshman and contributed a total of 21 points, four assists and three blocks for the entire season. He has flown under the radar up until the past couple weeks, as a lack of depth thrust Odio into the starting lineup.

With Dennis Clifford’s ongoing injuries leaving the team’s frontcourt thin, the 6-foot-7 forward found increased playing time early in the year. He’d been performing better than his averages from last year—about 14 minutes and a couple of points and rebounds per game—but nothing substantial until this past week’s games versus UNC and Clemson.

Odio was flying all around the court when the Tar Heels came to Conte, as he responded well to his first start of the season. His four blocks were as much as he had the rest of the season combined. He played 28 minutes, making three of his seven shots and while also contributing six rebounds. 

Donahue had him in the starting lineup again Saturday against Clemson and he delivered.

Odio filled up the stat sheet with five rebounds, two assists, two blocks and three steals. He also made the best play of the day with seven minutes left in the first half and BC up by four. Jordan Roper of Clemson came up with a steal and sprinted down the court for what seemed like an easy layup. But when he went for the dunk, Odio blocked in, kept it inbounds to Danny Rubin, who eventually found Rahon who was fouled. The 3-point swing put BC up by five instead of two, which would prove crucial at the end of the game when the Eagled let their lead slip to one.

“You’re seeing his maturation right in front of you,” Donahue said. “The blocked shot that he chased a kid down was a huge play … he had a long way to run for that. The other one he blocks Jennings inside. Jennings and Booker are in my opinion two of the best posts in the league. In that way, both are borderline NBA players, and I thought Eddie did a great job with all the energy things.” 

In a world where BC doesn’t have the athletes to compete with other ACC teams on pure speed or physicality, they’ll need to get by on smarts and energy. Donahue sees Odio filling that role for now, and his teammates are catching on.