MEN'S HOCKEY: Club Goalie Picked Up For Stretch Run

Published: Sunday, March 17, 2013

Updated: Sunday, March 17, 2013 21:03

For a game with 13 total penalties, penalty killing came to define the Boston College men’s hockey game on Friday night against the Vermont Catamounts in the Eagles’ 4-2 victory. BC managed to capitalize on this, while the Catamounts did not, in this first of a three-game series at the start of the Hockey East tournament. Defender Mike Matheson not only helped defend many of the eight power plays against BC, but he also scored a low, hard effort while BC had a man advantage.

The BC defense didn’t allow a single goal in on the power play, even when they had to defend a five-on-three power play, while Matheson and Steven Whitney were in the penalty box.

“[Killing penalties] was instrumental to the game—if they get that five-on-three goal or any of the power plays in the third period,” said head coach Jerry York.

Head coach of Vermont, Kevin Sneddon, noted his own team’s inability to finish as crucial to his team’s inability to convert on the power play.

“We create chances at times—we just don’t finish. I’m kind of sick of talking about it to be honest with you,” he said. 

This game also marked a new addition to the Eagles lineup.

Ryan Polischuk, just joined the team as a third-string goaltender, after Brian Billett suffered two concussions in two weeks.

Polishcuk isn’t the typical BC hockey player. He’s a Presidential Scholar, a National Merit finalist and a physics major. Before joining the Boston College club hockey team, he played for the Philadelphia Jr. Flyers.

“Brian Billett has a concussion—his second in three weeks,” York said. “In college hockey, with two goaltenders, if a goalie gets hurt the next game you forfeit with just one goaltender. We scrambled a bit, and went to our club team. The young boy from Philadelphia, Ryan Polischuk, was able to go through clearing house. His dad got his equipment back from Philly and brought it back up.

“I asked him the other day, I said ‘What’s your class schedule like?’ He says, ‘Well, I’m taking four physics classes.’ Our team GPA has just gone way up.”