MEN'S HOCKEY: Gaudreau Grabs Gold In Ufa

Published: Thursday, January 17, 2013

Updated: Monday, January 21, 2013 17:01

Johnny

Daniel Lee / Heights Editor

Boston College forward Johnny Gaudreau proved once again why he is one of the most skilled offensive players in Division 1 hockey. This time, however, he did it on a world stage in Ufa, Russia.

Over winter break, Gaudreau and the rest of the United States National Junior Team, which is composed entirely of players under the age of 20, traveled to Ufa to play against the best young hockey players from around the world in the International Ice Hockey Federation’s World Junior Championship. In his usual fashion, Gaudreau put on a show for the international audience that was crucial to Team USA, who would ultimately win the entire tournament.

Gaudreau didn’t score his first goal until the fourth game of the tournament, when Team USA had fallen to 1-2 in competition, but once he started scoring, Team USA would never stop winning. They went 4-0 for the rest of the tournament.

Against Slovakia during group play, Gaudreau netted his first goal of the tournament, putting Team USA up 3-1. Then, at 15:05 of the second period, Gaudreau put home his second goal of the game, giving Team USA a 6-2 lead. The U.S. would go on to win 9-3.

Gaudreau had what was arguably his most impressive performance of the tournament when he scored a hat trick in the U.S.’s 7-0 routing of the Czech Republic in the Quarterfinals. Gaudreau gave Team USA the pivotal lead in the game by scoring the first two goals of the contest, as well as the sixth.

Five games into the tournament, Gaudreau had already put up impressive numbers. Yet, given that Team USA was to face Canada in the semi-final round, there was certainly no chance for Gaudreau to stop there. In Team USA’s 5-1 routing of Team Canada, Gaudreau scored his sixth and seventh goals of the tournament. Those goals put him in a tie for second place on the list of most goals scored all-time in the tournament.

While he didn’t record a point in the gold medal game against Sweden, Team USA still could not be stopped as they won the game 3-1.

Gaudreau finished the tournament with 9 points, and his play throughout, which was full of toe drags, backhands, and, most importantly, goals, fueled Team USA’s offense for the better part of the tournament.