Men's Hockey: Gaudreau Returns In BC Route

Published: Saturday, January 12, 2013

Updated: Monday, January 21, 2013 17:01

The men’s hockey team improved to 13-3-2 with a 5-2 win over the No. 4 Wildcats of the University of New Hampshire on Friday night. Though Jerry York was at home recovering from eye surgery, the Eagles win adds to his NCAA record total, which stood at 926 as of Friday.

The biggest headline of the night, though, was sophomore forward Johnny Gaudreau’s return to the team. Gaudreau was the leading scorer on the U.S. National team that captured the gold medal at the World Juniors Championship in Ufa, Russia on Jan. 5. He was honored during the pre-game player introductions.

The Eagles did not look very sharp in the opening minutes of the game as UNH maintained puck possession in BC’s zone. The Eagles quickly fell behind 1-0 after Matt Willows fed a quick pass from behind the net to Jay Camper who netted his second goal of the season.

About 5 minutes later, the Eagles responded with a goal of their own. Sophomore Bill Arnold faked a wrist shot from the right side, wrapped around the back of the net, and put a pass right onto the tape of Kevin Hayes’ stick. Hayes ripped a shot into the top right corner of the net to tie. The first period ended with BC leading 2-1 thanks to another goal by senior captain Pat Mullane.

The second period began as the first ended: with BC dominating play. After assisting Mullane’s first, Gaudreau scored his team leading twelfth goal of the season less than 3 minutes into the period. Senior goaltender Parker Milner helped his own cause by collecting an assist on the play.

Like most of the meetings between BC and UNH, the game was fast and clean. There were very few stoppages in play with only 3 penalties throughout the course of the game. This quick pace played to the advantage of Gaudreau who made the play of the game. Late in the second, he gathered the puck from the corner in the offensive zone. Without looking, he quickly spun around, firing the puck in front of the net where Mullane was waiting for the one-timer. UNH goaltender Casey DeSmith never saw the puck until it was in the net. Mullane was very complimentary of his line mate after the game, pointing to Gaudreau’s superior anticipation ability. 

With the Eagles already leading 4-1, Arnold scored his ninth goal of the season in the closing minute of the second. A victory was all but certain as BC was 5-0 in contests in which they have scored at least 5 goals.

UNH scored again in the third period, but it was too little too late. Parker Milner had an excellent game stopping 31 of 33 shots. DeSmith did not fare as well, and was replaced by backup Jeff Wyer after two periods. Gaudreau was the first star of the game thanks to his goal and two assists.

This was an important win for the Eagles who placed a bit more distance between them and the Wildcats who currently occupy second place in the Hockey East standings. “We just gave them great scoring opportunities and they took them,” said UNH head coach Dick Umile after the game.