MEN'S HOCKEY: Merrimack Takes OT Win

Published: Sunday, February 17, 2013

Updated: Sunday, February 17, 2013 23:02

Merrimack forward Connor Toomey saw his opportunity—the Warriors were on a power play with Pat Mullane in the penalty box, and with 34.7 seconds left in overtime, a deflected shot fell right to his stick.

Toomey scraped it past Boston College goaltender Parker Milner with relative ease, giving his Warriors a 2-1 victory over the No. 4 Eagles (17-8-2, 12-8-1 Hockey East) in the Lawler Arena at Merrimack on Friday.

This loss put BC in second place in the Hockey East standings, behind none other than Merrimack.

BC was actually the first team to get on the score sheet.

In the middle of the second period, Quinn Smith managed to push the puck past the line, amidst a scramble in front of goal after Travis Jeke took a shot from distance.

The goal was reviewed for some time, and the original ruling on the ice was overturned in favor of the Eagles.

Merrimack did not respond until the third period, when John Heffernan sniped the puck into the upper right-hand corner of the net, immediately following a faceoff.

That goal spiraled the game into overtime, in which Toomey scored that crucial power play goal. 

Before that, BC had stopped Merrimack from scoring on eight straight power plays, but nine was too many for the Eagles.

Milner proved vital in goal for BC in these occasions. He recorded 40 saves on the night, letting in two.

The Eagles were slightly outshot, with Merrimack shooting 42 times, as opposed to BC’s 40.

Johnny Gaudreau led the team in shooting, with seven total shots. Early in the third period, Gaudreau found himself on two almost back-to-back breakaways, but the Merrimack goaltender, Sam Marotta, stopped Gaudreau from scoring on both.

Merrimack goalie Sam Marotta consistently slowed down the Eagles. The junior made 39 saves, and stopped the BC onslaught towards the end of regulation time.

This loss marks just the fifth time that a team has beaten BC after the Beanpot in the last four years. In addition, it is the first time that BC has lost to Merrimack in the last five meetings.