MEN'S LACROSSE: Lacrosse Overcomes Offseason Elements

Published: Thursday, March 14, 2013

Updated: Thursday, March 14, 2013 01:03

As spring dawns on the Heights, so does the new season of the Boston College men’s club lacrosse team. 

After last year’s season ended with a disappointing loss to New Hampshire, BC is refocused and ready to move up. As the undefeated Eagles enter the heaviest period of scheduling in the Men’s College Lacrosse Association (MCLA), they have plenty of momentum, illustrated by a recent six-spot jump to No. 9 in the MCLA standings. 

The Eagles have already faced one of their biggest adversaries this season, and it turned out to be an unscheduled one. With the collapse of the protective bubble in Alumni Stadium from snowstorm Nemo in February, the team was forced to abandon full field practice. They managed to concentrate on conditioning in the Plex, something senior captain Gavin Tisdale saw as a crucial component to their recent success during a trip to Texas.

“We were pretty sloppy the first game, but we were able to keep our conditioning on point, which was huge when we were playing three games in four days,” Tisdale said.

The inconvenience ended up strengthening the team’s communication. 

“The chemistry is definitely better than years past, and there’s a great camaraderie between everyone, even from freshmen to seniors,” said junior captain John Lambrecht. “There’s no divide anywhere, and it’s a great dynamic for us to have right now.”

The squad’s ties are strengthened by the spirit of BC alum Welles Crowther, whom the team honored recently by presenting Crowther’s number 19 jersey to Tisdale. Although he was thrilled by the honor, Tisdale realized how much more Crowther’s legacy means to the team as a whole.

“We have a team full of guys who live up to Welles, and we all have red bandanas on our bags, and he’s certainly someone we remember as we play, and off the field,” Tisdale said.

The team has just come off of a road trip to Texas, where the Eagles were able to take on non-conference teams. They defeated Southern Methodist University, winning 14-9, and carried that tone into a matchup with Texas State, topping the Bobcats 9-7. 

The highlight of the trip came in the final game versus the undefeated Texas Longhorns, who the Eagles beat 10-9 in an intense battle that lasted until the last 10 seconds of overtime, ending with a goal by sophomore attacker Joey Volk. 

Next for the Eagles is a home match against Boston University.

“Just another sport to beat them in,” Klemmer said. 

Lambrecht, Tisdale, and Klemmer hope that home turf will provide a big audience as the Eagles take on the Terriers.

“It’s a great atmosphere, and to play in Alumni, it’s close to the fans, and it’s always great to see the support,” Lambrecht said.