MEN'S SQUASH: Men’s Squash Captures Chaffee Cup

Published: Thursday, March 14, 2013

Updated: Thursday, March 14, 2013 01:03

At the end of February, Boston College and Boston University men’s club squash teams met in the Chaffee Cup final, the Men’s College Squash’s E Division championship. BC, as the defending champions, had more than just a rivalry to motivate them.

The first meeting between BC and BU was in December, a 5-4 loss for a depleted Eagles roster. Two months later, though, BC avenged the loss with a 7-2 victory over the Terriers with a full and healthy squad.

In their third and most important meeting of the year, the Eagles managed to best BU 6-3, earning the cup for the second year in a row after defeating Bucknell in 2012.

BC made its way to the finals of the Chaffee Cup by finishing No. 33 in the regular season of the College Squash Association to earn a spot in the E division, then scraping past University of Washington at St. Louis and Virginia in early rounds. 

The victory secured a final ranking of No. 33 overall in a league that includes Division I and Division III varsity squads, and No. 5 among club teams.

The team had a tough start to the regular season, missing several key players who were out with injuries. More players were missing as others were studying abroad.

Matching the best finish in the club’s four-year history, captain Nick Gadsden is optimistic about the future and pushing the club further.

“Hopefully, next season we can improve further by breaking into the top 32 teams in the country,” he said.

Breaking into the top 32 would allow the BC club squash team to compete in the next highest tournament division—the D division—and their national championship tournament would be the Conroy Cup. The D division is comprised of the 25th through 32nd ranked teams.

They added three new freshmen to the squad this year, replacing the two seniors that they lost last year. The Chaffee Cup victory set a positive tone for their BC careers.

Gadsden noted the difficulty of being a club team that plays varsity teams, saying that it is all up to chance to see whether the team gets any new members, since recruiting is not a factor.