MEN'S SWIMMING: Eagles Finish Swim Season

Assoc. Sports Editor

Published: Thursday, March 14, 2013

Updated: Thursday, March 14, 2013 01:03

After setting 12 new team records in a four-day span, the Boston College men’s swimming team concluded its season at the 2013 ACC Championships in Greensboro, NC.

Head coach Tom Groden’s Eagles tallied 120 points to clinch eighth place in their tournament appearance, which lasted from Feb. 27 until Mar. 2. Despite facing intense competition from its conference opponents, including eventual tournament champion Virginia, BC’s effort showcased a number of impressive individual performances.

Throughout the four-day set, the Eagles proved their speed and endurance in the pool, as Connor Stickney and Nick Henze led with seven final event appearances. Close behind the BC duo were teammates Edward Timmerman and Dan Kelly, who competed in six and five final events, respectively. 

In addition to the their presence in the final rounds, the Eagles impressed with their times and ranks. Kelly finished 28th overall in the 50-yard freestyle showdown, and Henze took 19th overall in the 200-yard freestyle race. Sophomore Tim Benage added to the list of BC accomplishments with a 19th overall placement of his own in the 100-yard butterfly. 

Indicative of the two strengths BC demonstrated throughout the tournament, freshman Matthew Zerweck combined speed and endurance to finish 24th overall in the 400-yard IM.

A statistic that jumps off the post-tournament stat sheet, however, is the number of school records the Eagles set while at Greensboro. Sophomore Andrew Stranick sparked the impressive record-setting trend with a 55.12 performance in the 100-yard breaststroke during preliminaries. The second-year standout went on to finish 16th overall in the competition.

Yet BC’s final contest of the year was also defined by well-executed teamwork in the lanes, as the Eagles found success with their relays. Stickney, Kelly, Stranick, and sophomore Michael Bryant joined forces for the 200-yard medley relay and achieved a BC record-breaking time of 1:31.30. 

Although the Eagles’ medley performance was a tough act to follow, the relay team of Henze, Timmerman, senior Jimmy Boretti, and rookie Drew Cuttic recorded another school high mark with a time of 6:43.29 in the 800-yard freestyle relay. To cap off BC’s relay prowess, teammates Timmerman, Henze, Stickney, and Kelly claimed another Eagle record in the 200-yard freestyle relay with a mark of 1:21.37.

The Eagles finished 148 points behind seventh-place Duke, but managed to distance themselves from ninth-place Miami by a margin of 107. A collection of strong individual and group performances, as well as a number of new records, sends BC into the offseason with momentum on its side.