ROUNDUP: BU Terriers Sink Both Eagle Swim Teams

Men’s Tennis Extends Winning Streak To Three, Women’s Golf Kicks Off 2013 Season In Florida

Published: Monday, February 11, 2013

Updated: Monday, February 11, 2013 01:02

While these past few days were perfect for sledding and snowmen, it was the men’s tennis team that was perfect last weekend, advancing to 3-0 on the season after downing Bryant and Sacred Heart by a score of 7-0 each. The Eagles dominated, winning every doubles and singles match to drop the Bulldogs and the Pioneers. Off to a roaring start, BC has swept away its first three opponents, led as it is by solid doubles tandems and standout individual performances. Sophomore Phil Nelson won on court number one in singles and doubles on both days, continuing a quality start to the season. 

Far away from the Chestnut Hill tundra, the women’s golf team got its season swinging in Coral Gables, Florida, on Monday and Tuesday, tying for 13th in the Hurricane Invitational. Led by freshman Isabel Southard, the Eagles recorded a team score of 945, +93. Southard tied for ninth overall, shooting a three-round total of 222 and finishing +9. The Eagles are back in action again on the Feb. 16 when they head out to California for the Peg Barnard Stanford Invitational. 

The men’s and women’s swim teams were sunk by Boston University at BU last Saturday, losing 222-77, and 229-72, respectively. A bright spot in the tough dual meet saw senior Marty Long earning first place in the three-meter diving with a score of 279 along with a second  place finish in one-meter diving with a score of 269.47. Connor Stickney swam for third in the 100 backstroke and fourth in the 200 backstroke, and helped the 200 yard freestyle and 200 yard medley relays to third place finishes. 

On the women’s end, sophomore Melissa Merwin took second in the 200 yard breaststroke with a time of 2:30.43. Additionally, Merwin swam for fourth in the 100 yard backstroke and was part of a fourth place finishing 200 yard medley relay team. The Eagles will look to rebound at the UConn Open on Feb. 15. 

Men’s and women’s fencing teams were both in action at the Eric Sollee Invitational at MIT on the third, with the women going 4-2 and the men finishing 3-3. The women showed a strong group effort, losing only to Duke and Penn, and recorded impressive wins in sabre, epee, and foil. For the men, seniors Nikhil Patel and Albert Starshak were both dominate in epee, finishing 12-6 each. Senior Denis McGovern had a career day on the sabre, going 10-8. The Eagles return to action on Tuesday to host the Fencing Beanpot at the Plex.