ROUNDUP: Eagles Faced With Road Woes In Carolina

Assoc. Sports Editor

Published: Monday, April 22, 2013

Updated: Monday, April 22, 2013 00:04

Hoping to avoid five consecutive scoreless defeats, the Boston College men’s tennis team squared off with conference foe North Carolina yesterday afternoon in Chapel Hill. 

The Eagles could not avoid the same fate two days in a row, however, as they fell 7-0 to a Tar Heel squad hungry for a win on its Senior Day. UNC dominated both singles and doubles play, tallying three 8-4 victory in duo competition. BC sophomore Matt Wagner and freshman Kyle Childree each dropped competitive singles matchups 6-4, but those two-point margins were as close as any Eagle would get to topping a UNC opponent on the day.

Two days earlier, the Eagles were blanked by ACC powerhouse Duke in a 7-0 rout. Wagner provided the contest’s most competitive singles matchup, falling to Bruno Semenzato 6-3, 6-3. 

Yet the Blue Devils dominated doubles play, putting on a dominant performance that included Jason Tahir and Michael Redlicki’s 8-1 victory over Wagner and teammate Kyle Childree. Friday’s match marked the Eagles’ fourth straight shutout loss against a conference opponent, and dropped their overall record to 11 games below the .500 mark.

Prior to having its weekend matchups against North Carolina and Duke canceled, the women’s tennis squad faced Boston University on Wednesday. Despite taking the Terriers down to the wire, BC found itself on the losing side of a 4-3 nail-biter. 

The Eagle effort was highlighted by a complete performance from rookie Wan-Yi Sweeting, who notched wins in both single and doubles play for the third straight match. Though BC claimed the doubles point, BU won four of six singles matches. The Terrier run was highlighted by Kim McCallum’s 6-2, 6-2 defeat of BC’s Sarah Dalton.

Away from the court, BC found success in the water. The rowing team achieved victory in four of the five races it competed in Worcester, Mass. yesterday. Dueling with Connecticut and Holy Cross upon Lake Quinsigamond, the Eagles put on a complete performance. 

BC’s Varsity Four tallied a win with a time of 7:45.10 to scoot past both the Huskies and Crusaders, while the Second Varsity Eight captured its fourth event victory of the season with a mark of 6:56.70. In the Third Varsity Eight, BC’s “A” boat enjoyed a first-place finish at 7:08.20 and its “B” boat’s time of 7:18.86 was good enough for second place. Sunday’s strong showing gives the Eagles momentum as they head into Beanpot competition next week on the Charles River.

Closing out this week in BC sports, both the men’s and women’s track teams finished in 12th place at ACC Championships in Raleigh, NC. The Championships complete the season for both the men's and women's programs.