ROUNDUP: Fencing Falls In Beanpot

Published: Monday, February 18, 2013

Updated: Monday, February 18, 2013 00:02

The Boston College men’s and women’s fencing teams hosted the annual Beanpot fencing tournament this week, but managed just one win in six combined matches with the men going 0-3 and the women 1-2. The women opened the competition with a first round 14-13 win over MIT but were forced to continue without Olivia Curry, who had to withdraw due to injury. The Eagles faced Brandeis in the next match, but fell 15-12 before being blown out by eventual tournament champion Harvard 25-2. 

The men lost a heartbreaker 14-13 against MIT to open the tournament and fell to Brandeis by the same score in their second match. Harvard proved to be too much for the men as well, defeating the Eagles 21-6 to sweep the competition. Harvard’s men and women’s teams dominated the event, winning all their matches by double digits.

The BC men’s track team competed at the Tufts Cupid Challenge on Monday, winning four events on the day. 

Senior Jordan Hamm won the mile with a strong time of 4:13.73 and qualified for the indoor track and field championship along with teammates Jack Linehan and Colin Fedor. Sophomore Jonathan Vaught ran a career best 7.09 in the 60m to take first place in the event and recorded the second best time ever in BC history. 

Junior Joseph McConaughy also qualified for the Indoor Championships and won his event with a time of 2:30.86 in the 1000m. And freshman Mitchell McGinty took first in the high jump with a top mark of 1.93m. 

The women’s track team competed in two separate events this week—the BU Valentine Invitational and the Tufts Cupid Challenge. 

At BU, Jillian King set the school record with her time of 4:34.19 in the mile, good for a first place finish. Her time was also the fifth best time recorded in the nation so far this year and broke the previous school record that had been held be her sister Caroline. 

Erin McKenna won the 800m with her time of 2:12.95 while Morgan Mueller (9:44.31) and Moira Kenney (9:54.81) both set career-best marks in the 3000m. Kelsey Huckins also managed to win the weight throw for the Eagles with a distance of 16.27m.

At Tufts on Monday, Molly O’Dea just missed setting a new personal best with a time of 7:81 in her win in the 60m. Her time was just .01 slower than the personal mark she set earlier this season and now gives her three of the top five times in the 60m in BC history. 

Kristen McDonagh also gave the Eagles a win, with a high jump of 1.62m. Kimberly McDonagh set a new personal best in the long jump with a distance of 5.19m, good enough to take home second place.