ROUNDUP: Kelly, Eagles Put Up Strong Showing At Dartmouth Invitational

Asst. Sports Editor

Published: Sunday, January 26, 2014

Updated: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 13:01

This weekend, the men’s swimming and diving team travelled to the Dartmouth Invite  and saw Daniel Kelly triumph in the men’s 50-yard freestyle with a time of 20.90. The sophomore shredded the pool, winning by nearly three-tenths of a second.
Kelly anchored the men’s 200-yard medley relay team of Josh Williams, Andrew Stranick, and Timothy Benage. That relay team finished behind meet-winners Dartmouth with a time of 1:33.97.
The men’s side incurred more success in the 200-yard freestyle, as Nick Henze secured a third place finish with a time of 1:43.45, and Stranick was the runner up in the 100-yard breaststroke.
In the deep end, freshman Cole Malatesta scored 285.80, edging him into second place in the men’s 3m dive.
After suffering a 4-3 defeat at Georgetown on Friday, the men’s tennis team was blanked by No. 1 Virginia, 7-0. The doubles pair of Alexandre Thirouin and Jonathan Raude won its match, but it was the Eagle’s only victory of the day, as the Cavaliers swept BC in singles.
At Georgetown, the Hoyas took all three doubles matches. Philip Nelson, Matt Wagner, and Raude all won, as the team split singles play with its hosts.
In its first home meet of the year, the women’s fencing team won four dual meets, beating MIT, Smith, Vassar, and Dartmouth. Freshman Renee Bichete, junior Cara Hall, and sophomore Olivia Adragna, who combined to go 46-8 in the meet, led the women’s Epee. Linda Zhang defeated two NCAA qualifies, highlighting the foil squad’s day.
MIT, Vassar, Brown, and Brandeis defeated the men’s team, as BC only managed to beat Dartmouth on the meet.
After the match, the men’s and women’s teams both sit in sixth in the Northeast Fencing Conference. In the combined ranking, the program is tied for fifth with Tufts University.
Junior Liv Westphal set the U-23 French national record in the 3000m at the John Thomas Terrier Invitational at Boston University in which nine Eagles met the ECAC standard.
Westphal’s time of 9:16.34 saw her finish third in the race and third fastest in school history.
In the 5000m, Morgan Mueller took sixth, and Elizabeth O’Brien finished in 10th place, both meeting the ECAC standard. Claudia DiSomma placed third in the 1000m with a time of 2:54.47.
Across town in Cambridge, Kristen McDonaugh competed in the Harvard Multi meet. Jumping 1.70m in the high jump, she tied the fifth-best height in program history.
The women’s tennis team won back-to-back matches, beating Dartmouth 5-2 and Brown 4-3. Against the Big Green, the Eagles dominated doubles play, before winning four of the six singles matches. Freshman Lexi Borr, sophomore Katya Vasilyev, freshman Emily Safron, and sophomore Heini Salonen defeated their opponents in singles.
On Friday, Brown won two of the three doubles games, but BC countered by winning four of six singles matches. Borr won her match 6-3, 6-3, and sophomore Jenny Ren triumphed as well. Vasilyev contributed to the Eagles’ advantage with a win, and Emily Safron’s victory sealed BC’s triumph over the Bears.
On Saturday at the UNH Carnival, the Eagles placed 15th out of 16 teams. Keith Schuman led the way for the men’s ski team, finishing in 20th in the giant slalom. Schuman was followed in the GS by teammate Ryan Barney, who came in 30th. Schuman performed well in the slalom, placing inside of the top 25 with Chase Ryan.
Michelle Solomon and Taylor Burgart finished just outside of the team points in 42nd and 43rd, respectively, in the women’s giant slalom. Katie Cutting skied well in the women’s slalom, finishing in 28th place, while Kristie Ryan and Burgart clocked in just outside of the top 30. A second run disqualification by Brayton Pech kept her from finishing race for the Eagles. 

An earlier version of this article stated that freshman Lexi Borr won her match against Brown 6-3. The article now accurately reflects that Borr won 6-3, 6-3.