ROUNDUP: King Named ACC Performer Of The Week At BU

Published: Monday, January 28, 2013

Updated: Monday, January 28, 2013 00:01

During a weekend that was busy for Boston College athletes all across campus, several athletes on the women’s track team and the women’s tennis team shined as they helped lead their respective teams to victory.

On Friday, the women’s track team headed to Northeastern University to take part in the Joe Donahue Games, a meet which the Eagles would end up tying for first place in, with a score of 85.5 points.   

Individual winners in the meet included Katherine O’Keefe in the 1000-meter race with a time of 2:57.90 and Junior Bridget Dahlberg in the 3000-meter race with a time of 9:30.28.  

Dahlberg was not the only Eagle to put up an impressive time in the 3,000, however—Morgan Mueller, Brittany Winslow, and Allison Stasiuk finished the same race in second, third, and fourth place, respectively, while Danielle Winslow finished the race in sixth place. 

Also in action for the women’s track team this weekend was senior Jillian King, who headed to Boston University’s Terrier invitational on Friday. There, she ran a 4:37.60 mile, winning the race and also posting the second fastest time for that event that has been recorded this season.

For her efforts at BU, King was honored as ACC performer of the week and received an honorable mention from the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association.

On Saturday, the women’s tennis team found victory during their home opener at the Dedham Health & Athletic Club, when they squared off against Syracuse, a team that has struggled so far this year.  The Eagles (2-0 overall), finished 3-3 in singles play and won the doubles point after taking two out of the three matches in that part of the competition. They ultimately beat Syracuse 4-3 and improved their own record to 2-0 on the season.

Every match proved essential in the 4-3 win, but there were a few standout performances.

The play of Jessica Wacnik and Katya Vasilyev was crucial, as they each won their singles matches and their doubles matches. Wacnik was paired with Alex Kelleher during their doubles match, and Vasilyev was paired with Olga Khmylev in theirs. Heini Salonen had the fourth win for the Eagles that day when she won her individual match.

Both the tennis team and the track team are looking to continue this weekend’s successes. They each compete again on Friday. 

The track team will be competing from teams from all over the country in New York City at the New Balance Collegiate Games. The tennis team has its first ACC match of the season, against Maryland, at home.