ROUNDUP: Men’s And Women’s Ski Teams Begin Their Seasons At UVM Carnival

Sports Editor

Published: Thursday, January 16, 2014

Updated: Thursday, January 16, 2014 03:01

fggsdgsdgsrg

Graham Beck / Heights Senior Staff

The Boston College ski team opened its season on Jan. 10 in Stowe, Vt. at the UVM Carnival, finishing in sixth place as a team. Sophomore Chase Ryan’s 14th-place finish and 2:03.30 total time paced the Eagles in the men’s giant slalom. The next quickest skier for the men’s squad was freshman Ryan Barney with a 23rd-place finish and a total time of 2:04.79. Coming in shortly behind him was freshman Trevor Lennox, landing in 32nd place with a total time of 2:06.52. The University of Vermont’s Dominique Garand won the event with a 1:58.88 time.

On the women’s side, Taylor Burgart raced fastest for BC in the giant slalom, recording a 32nd-place finish and 2:14.81 total time. Following right behind her was Kristie Ryan in 33rd place with a 2:15.39 total time, and Brayton Pech in 36th place with a 2:16.45 total time. Also finishing for the Eagles were Michelle Solomon and Katie Benjamin, in 42nd place with a total time of 2:17.91 and 48th place with a 2:21.77 total time, respectively. UVM’s Kate Ryley claimed first place with a 2:02.71 time.

Moving from the slopes to the rink, the women’s hockey team has continued its successful first half of the season, losing one of its past eight games and most recently defeating Northeastern 3-2. Sophomore forward Haley Skarupa is fourth in Hockey East scoring with 14 goals and 26 points, and close behind her in seventh and eighth place are forwards Emily Field and Andie Anastos, with 10 goals and 20 points, and nine goals and 19 points, respectively. Veteran goaltender Corinne Boyles has been a rock in the net, recording a .935 save percentage and a 1.83 goals-against average through 18 games played. On defense, senior Meagan Mangene has led the blue liners with a plus-16 rating, second only to Boyles on the team.

On the hardwood, the women’s basketball team has won three of its past five games, dropping its past two contests against Notre Dame and Duke. Head coach Erik Johnson’s team is 10-7 and 1-2 in conference play, and it has been led by Kristen Doherty’s team-high average of 14.4 points per game. With an important chunk of its ACC schedule coming up, the women’s basketball squad will look to improve its conference record down the stretch.

Like their fellow Eagles on the slopes, the men’s track and field team recorded a sixth-place finish in its first competition of the new year. With a team score of 25, the majority of the Eagles’ points at the Dartmouth Relays on Jan. 12 were scored in the 800 meter run. Junior Tim Ferris finished second in the event at 1:58.93, and just behind him were sophomore Tom Hennessy and freshman James Zingarini in third place at 1:59.66, and sixth place at 2:00.48, respectively.

The remainder of the Eagles’ points came from a third-place finish by Hennessy, Collin Fedor, Tyler Hanson, and Ferris in the 4x800 at 8:00.86, and a sixth-place finish by Obinna Nwankwo, Connor O’Neill, Darren James, and Devaun Bovell in the 4x400 at 3:30.69. With 120 points, Dartmouth finished first in the meet. n