ROUNDUP: Men's Tennis Sweeps And Women's Fencing Cruises

Asst. Sports Editor

Published: Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Although there were struggles in Conte Forum for Boston College this past week, there were a few bright spots from around the rest of the Eagle athletic community.

The men’s tennis team put the cap on a solid week of play from around the BC athletic community with a 7-0 sweep of Southern New Hampshire in their home opener at the Flynn Recreation Complex on Saturday, Jan. 26.

Sophomore Phillip Nelson played the No. 1 spot for the Eagles and came away with a straight set singles win and, with the help of his partner Billy Grokenberger, also defeated the Southern New Hampshire No. 1 doubles set by a score of 8-6.

All of the singles players took commanding wins in their matches, as they didn’t drop a single set on the entire day. Both No. 5 Kyle Childree and No. 6 Matt Wagner were able to defeat their opponents without losing a single game.

The other two doubles sets—No. 2 Michael McGinniss and Kyle Childree, as well as No. 3 Jonathan Raude and Klaus Puestow—also came away with commanding victories with final scores of 8-1 and 8-4, respectively. 

The No. 19 women’s fencing team was at Brown on Saturday participating in a series of Northeast Conference dual meets and came away with only one loss in six matches played. Commanding wins over Smith, Brandeis, and Vassar (21-6, 20-7, and 19-8, respectively) contrasted with tougher, closer matches against No. 18 MIT, Dartmouth, and No. 13 Brown. 

A 17-10 fall to Brown was BC’s only loss of the weekend. Standouts for the Eagles included sophomore Cara Hall, who was 17 on the day in her Epee matches, and three members of the sabre squad—Marney Krupat, Olivia Curry, and Maria Schneeweiss—coming away with 14-4 records for the meet.

The No. 18 men’s fencing team was also in action in Providence, coming away with wins against Vassar and Dartmouth and losses against No. 16 MIT, No. 20 Brandeis, and No. 12 Brown. The Brandeis match was a close one with a final score of 14-13, but a large 2-7 deficit after the sabre round proved too much to overcome when it came to foil. Ha Min Lee was the Eagles’ strongest performer of the day, finishing with a 12-3 record, followed closely by his foil compatriot Patrick Riley who went 10-5.

Also faring well was the men’s swimming team as they made the short journey to Tufts on Tuesday for a dual meet against the Jumbos. Young members set the tone for the 205-146 Eagle win, with freshman Dan Kelley taking first in the 50-yard freestyle along with a set of relay triumphs in the 200 medley and the 200 freestyle. Sophomore Nick Henze also fared well with solo wins in the 100 and 200-yard freestyle races and participated with Kelley on the winning 200 freestyle relay team. Contributions also came from the diving side with senior Marty Long winning both the one-meter and three-meter events. Overall, the team won 12 out of 19.