Softball Starts Season Right With Successful Tournament Weekend

Published: Sunday, February 19, 2012

It was a successful season opener for the Boston College softball team, which went 4-1 in the Florida Gulf Coast Tournament, giving up only 12 runs in the five games on the weekend.

The tournament for the Eagles began with a 3-2 win over Delaware. BC took a comfortable lead after a three-run inning in the third. Ali Lynette-Krech, a senior tri-captain, began her final season with a single to right field and was later driven in by Nicole D'Argento, who tossed a complete game striking out five and walking none.

However, it was Lynette-Krech who was turning heads. In addition to Lynette-Krech's strong support on the offense, head coach Ashley Obrest found the senior to play a "flawless center field" and saw her tri-captain to have really stepped up.

The Eagles followed the opening win with a tough loss to Binghamton. Amanda Horowitz  pitched a competitive six innings, allowing only two hits and two runs, in addition to a career-high seven strikeouts. The Eagles were unable to score any runs against a tough Binghamton pitcher, and lost the game by a close 2-0 score.

In the final three games of the tournament, BC responded by beating Saint Louis, Florida Gulf Coast, and UT-Martin, outscoring its opponents, 18-8.

Lynette-Krech continued her strong start to the season with a 2-RBI game against St. Louis, while going 3-for-3 at the plate. She had support from Chelsea LoBue and Andrea Filler, who combined for three more RBIs, sealing a close, 5-4 victory in extra innings. The game ended with a collision at home plate, as Filler was sprinting home to be the winning run, and did so to secure a win for the Eagles.

Brittany Wilkins had a stunning game later on Saturday against Florida Gulf Coast University with four RBIs and a run scored. D'Argento finished strong in the sixth and seventh, letting up a hit and a walk and striking out three, clinching the 6-3 win. Horowitz got the victory on the mound, while D'Argento picked up the save.

BC finished the tournament with a commanding 7-1 victory over University of Tennessee at Martin. Tory Speer, the 2011 ACC Freshman of the Year, seemed to be all the Eagles needed in this game, driving in three runs and scoring twice herself. D'Argento and Morgan Kidd put together seven strong innings, allowing only two hits, with D'Argento striking out four of her own. This fourth win sealed the championship for the Eagles. Obrest described the triumphant weekend as "a total team effort." She was especially proud of the strength BC put into this tournament, saying, "They're all working hard," which was clearly evident in their success this weekend. The great start to the season can only mean good things to come for this talented Eagles softball team.