TENNIS: BC Battles Through Ivy League Constests

Assoc. Sports Editor

Published: Thursday, February 28, 2013

Updated: Thursday, February 28, 2013 00:02

Tennis

Alex Trautwig / Heights Senior Staff

For the Boston College men’s and women’s tennis teams, the past week has been a battle against Ivy League competition.

Despite capturing the doubles point in its match against Brown University on Tuesday night, the men’s squad fell by a mark of 5-2.

A pair of dominant team performances fueled the Eagles’ success with duo competition. Freshman Kyle Childree joined forces with junior Michael McGinnis to top Brown’s Justin To and Will Spector with an 8-5 advantage. 

Adding to BC’s doubles run were sophomore Matt Wagner and senior Billy Grokenberger, who worked together to knock off Brown’s Brandon Burke and Daniel Hirshberg in a closely contested 8-6 matchup.

As much as the Eagles thrived in their doubles contests, they were outdueled in solo competition, dropping five of six single matches on the day. BC senior Klaus Puestow accounted for his squad’s lone win in one-on-one play, defeating opponent David Neff 7-6, 4-6, and 10-5. 

Though sophomore Philip Nelson took opponent Michael Reichmann down to the wire in a 7-6, 7-5 loss, the Eagles could not compensate for their singles struggles in a hard-fought match.

Meanwhile, the women’s squad began its successful run against Ivy competition with a 5-2 victory over Brown on Friday evening. BC senior Alex Kelleher led the Eagle charge, as she won her singles matchup and notched a victory alongside sophomore teammate Jessica Wacnik in doubles competition. 

A senior duo of Olga Khymylev and Ina Kauppila notched another doubles victory over Brown’s Sarah Kandath and Nikita Uberoi by an 8-7 (3) final, while Khymylev recorded a win in her singles matchup. Refusing to be outdone by their upperclassman teammates, BC freshmen Heini Salonen and Katya Vasilyev teamed up for a doubles victotry in addition to Salonen’s 6-4, 6-2 solo victory over Uberoi.

The Eagles carried their momentum and a 4-0 overall season record into battle with Harvard on Saturday night. Wacnik continued her solid play, winning her singles contest against Hideko Tachibana and uniting with Kelleher to tally an 8-7 (2) doubles win. 

Senior Kelly Barry and freshman Wan-Yi Sweeting contributed to BC’s solo matchup dominance with individual wins of their own. To cap a successful stint against Ivy League competition and bring the Eagles’ record to a flawless 5-0, the rookie Salonen and veteran Khmylev worked together to outduel the pair of Hai-Li Kong and Natalie Blosser, 8-3. 

As BC’s men prepare for tournament play and the women look to continue a perfect early-season run, both will head out west within the coming week.