Tennis Finds New Home

Sports Editor

Published: Monday, January 28, 2013

Updated: Monday, January 28, 2013 00:01

Boston College tennis has found a new home at the Dedham Health & Athletic Complex (DHAC). Both the men’s and women’s tennis teams will be moving from the Flynn Recreation Complex to the DHAC beginning this season.

“Through our partnership with the Dedham Health & Athletic Complex, our student athletes have the opportunity to train and play in one of the area’s foremost tennis facilities,” said athletic director Brad Bates. 

“Dedham Health is an impressive fitness center, with cutting-edge offerings that will enhance our team training and match play. We look forward to introducing our team to the Dedham Health membership, and to building a strong relationship that we hope will last for years to come.”

Terms of the deal were not disclosed. The women’s team will officially break in the courts tomorrow as they host Syracuse. The men’s team is scheduled to play Brown in late February in Dedham. Most matches for the men’s team and some matches for the women’s team will still be played at the Plex this season.

“Boston College has a rich history in competitive athletics and we’re proud to welcome its outstanding tennis players to their new home courts at Dedham Health,” DHAC owner Lloyd Gainsboro said. “We’ve made tennis a core offering at our complex since its inception and we look forward to hosting exciting college tennis this year, and to building a lasting partnership with a venerable institution.” 

The DHAC is New England’s largest integrated health and wellness facility. The Eagles will host matches and practice on the complex’s 11 indoor hardcourts.

The women’s team opened 2013 with a 5-2 win over Dartmouth.

“It was exciting to get the season started with a win against a good Dartmouth team that is very well coached,” head coach Nigel Bentley said. “We played well, and it was encouraging to see our freshmen step up with convincing wins.”