VOLLEYBALL: BC Continues ACC Struggles

Published: Sunday, September 29, 2013

Updated: Sunday, September 29, 2013 22:09

After a tough five-set loss to open its ACC schedule against Miami on Saturday, the Boston College volleyball team faced yet another formidable conference foe on Sunday. The No. 17 Florida State Seminoles were in town, and the Eagles suffered their second straight defeat, this time in straight sets, to fall to 0-2 against ACC teams.

The Eagles, who carried an 8-5 record into the game, put up a strong effort but were eventually overmatched by the Seminoles. 

BC and FSU battled back and forth throughout the first set, with the largest margin between the two teams being five points. The Eagles, led by graduate student Amanda Yerke, sophomore Katty Workman, freshman Barbara Gonzalez, and junior Kellie Barnum, were able to tie the game several times and take a late three-point lead. Their efforts were not enough to break FSU, though, and spurred on by key plays from senior Elise Walch and junior Sarah Wickstrom, the Seminoles were able to close the gap and take the set by a score of 25-23.

The Seminoles carried their momentum into the second set. They took a commanding lead early in the set, 12-4, and did not let off the gas pedal. The team racked up a total of 15 kills on its way to a 25-8 victory in the set. 

The Eagles fared better in the third set, as setter Barnum worked with Gonzalez and Workman to earn a total of eight kills. Still, they appeared to be outmatched by the Seminoles, who took control of the final set with a series of blocks. Ashley Neff and Sarah Burrington of FSU combined for a total of 12 assisted blocks. Boosted by their strong defensive play, FSU closed out the game with a victory in the third set by a score of 25-13. 

Workman had an uncharacteristically low kill count on the match with five, and was outpaced by Yerke who finished with six. Gonzales also had five kills on the match. On the defensive side, Workman totaled a team high six digs. Barnum turned in a strong performance, finishing with 21 assists. 

Sisters Nicole and Elise Walch paced the Seminoles offensively with 12 and 10 kills, respectively, and Sarah Burrington was right behind them with seven.

The Eagles, now 8-6, have seen a quick decline since beginning ACC play. With a long season ahead of them, they will hope to redeem themselves against NC State next weekend.