VOLLEYBALL: BC Goes Undefeated At Columbia Tournament

Published: Sunday, September 15, 2013

Updated: Sunday, September 15, 2013 23:09

Vball

The women’s volleyball team had another strong showing this weekend at the Columbia Invitational, winning all three of its matches in New York against a trio of opponents, including tournament host Columbia and local opponents Fordham University and Binghamton University. 

The Eagles (8-2), stormed into New York looking to build off the momentum they created after a dominating undefeated performance in the Boston College Invitational.

Day one of the tournament saw the Eagles in action against a strong Fordham squad. The Rams (6-4) began the first set holding tough as they battled, trading points back and forth. But BC quickly got their feet underneath them, closing out the set with a 19-7 run. 

It was smooth sailing after that for the Eagles, winning in convincing fashion with a 25-15 second set victory as well as a 25-12 third set victory that was highlighted by BC hitting .421 for the set. 

The Eagles were paced throughout the match by Katty Workman who recorded a match-high nine kills to go along with five digs and a block. Workman, a sophomore outside hitter from Thousand Oaks, Calif., has established herself as a powerful force around the net so far this season, leading the team in kills with 122. 

The Eagles also benefited from the strong play of junior captain Kellie Barnum. Barnum, another California native, had a team-high 26 assists and two service aces in the win over Fordham. 

The Eagles’ second match of the day put them opposite tournament host, the Columbia Lions. Despite their lackluster record, the Lions were 0-4 heading into Friday’s matchup—Columbia gave the Eagles all they could handle, pushing the match to a grueling five-set duel, but BC eventually won out. 

BC stole the first two sets from Columbia, winning the sets marginally with victories of 25-23 and 25-20 respectively. But with fatigue setting in as the Eagles began their sixth set of the day, the Lions began to push back. 

Columbia built an 8-1 lead in the third set that would hold throughout. The Lions never trailed, keeping BC at bay despite four consecutive kills from Workman. Columbia finished off the set with a 25-22 victory. 

The fourth set was a seesaw battle with both sides exchanging leads throughout. It would be Columbia’s Jennifer Petrovich who would settle the score, delivering an ace to end the set to even the match at 2-2. After blowing a 5-2 lead to go down 9-6 in the deciding fifth set, BC dug deep, pulling away from the Lions and winning the match with a 15-11 final set. 

The Eagles couldn’t have done it without Barnum who once again led the team in assists, this time with a new career high of 63. Workman also continued her strong play notching a double-double with 17 digs and set her own career high with 32 kills.

With the hard slogging behind them, the Eagles moved into Saturday with just one match, a tilt against the 0-8 Binghamton Bearcats. BC defeated the Bearcats handedly, winning in straight sets for the fourth time in nine matches. The Eagles took the first set with a dominating 25-15 performance and followed it up with convincing victories of 25-23 and 25-18. 

This match saw a different cast of characters step up for the Eagles. Senior Melissa McTighe led the way with eight kills on .318 hitting—she would also chip in four block assists, a solo block, and a dig. 

Outside hitter Sarah Mendes, a sophomore, would also contribute with nine kills, a service ace, and 11 digs. A trio of freshmen also stepped up for the Eagles, Anna Skold, Barbara Gonzalez, and Madison Lydon all stepped up with a combined 14 kills, two service aces, two assists, and 12 digs. 

Barnum and Workman also pitched in with 26 assists and six kills respectively. 

After notching six straight wins and winning eight of 10, things look to be on the up and up for BC who were 6-4 in their first 10 last season.