WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: BC Falters During Second Half At Maryland

Asst. Sports Editor

Published: Sunday, February 3, 2013

Updated: Sunday, February 3, 2013 23:02

Zen

Everything seemed to be looking up. After four straight ACC losses, the last day of January closed that dark period for the women’s basketball team with a commanding win over NC State. High off of their third ACC win, the Eagles headed down to College Park for another round of conference play against an impressive 17-3 University of Maryland team.

The ACC’s third ranked team, Maryland was an intimidating opponent, and though BC was able to hang with the powerful Terps offense during the first half, it proved too much for the Eagles come the second half of play, and they came away from the day with a disappointing 85-62 loss, their seventh of ACC play.

During the first five minutes of play, the two teams traded scores remaining close until a 3-pointer by freshman guard Nicole Boudreau, then another from forward Kristen Doherty, started an 8-0 run for the Eagles, putting them up by eight.

That run however, was quickly countered by the Terps with 11 straight points, putting the Eagles down and taking away their only lead of the game. Although the Eagles responded and did not allow any more large runs during the first half, their efforts were not enough to bring the game to even again. Slowly but surely, Maryland built its lead with precision shooting. 

As a team, the Terps were 52 percent from the field during the first half, and though they allowed more turnovers, nine versus the Eagles’ seven, their defense withheld BC, only allowing the Eagles three points off of turnovers, compared to the Terps’s seven.

Yet at the end of the half, the Eagles were only down by seven, with a high 3-point percentage (5-11—46 percent) allowing them to remain close entering the break.

The beginning of the second half was a similar story. While BC managed to respond to much of the Maryland offense, they were never able to get in a solid run that would significantly narrow their deficit. Throughout most of the half, the Terps lead lingered around 10 to 12 points.

Yet as time wound down in during the last 10 minutes, the BC offense slowed as Maryland’s maintained a constant speed. Maryland maintained their efficient shooting from the field, making 16 of 33 for 49 percent, while the Eagles slipped to only 38 percent.

Despite their zero 3-pointers in the second half, the Terps finished the game up by 23 with a final score of 85-62.

Only two BC players managed to post double digit scoring. Kirsten Doherty had an impressive 18 points in her 29 minutes played and Kerri Shields finished the day with 14. Boudreau, who has been celebrated as a top freshman in the ACC, had only nine points. Maryland had only three players in the double digits, but two of those, Alyssa Thomas and Tianna Hawkins, broke into the twenties with 24 and 26 points, respectively.

The Eagles have now lost five of their last six games and dropped to a 3-6 record in ACC play. Head coach Erik Johnson, however, stayed positive after the game. “Clearly our advantage is that we’re hard to guard,” he said, “but Maryland did a good job of preventing our drives. The credit goes to a really good defensive team that did a nice job.”