WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: BC Unable To Capitalize On Second Half Rally At Wake

Asst. Sports Editor

Published: Monday, February 11, 2013

Updated: Monday, February 11, 2013 01:02

The Boston College women’s basketball team traveled to Winston-Salem, North Carolina yesterday in search of its fourth ACC win against the Wake Forest Demon Deacons. 

Despite a strong individual performance from junior Katie Zenevitch, other Eagles were held to low point totals and were unable to complete their second half comeback, returning the Chestnut Hill with a 61-59 loss.

Zenevitch had a career high 24 points and seven rebounds, many of them coming when the Eagles needed them most.

The Eagles scored first with a 3-pointer from Kristen Doherty to start the game, but after that Wake Forest scored nine straight, quickly stifling the early attempts by the BC offense. The Eagles were able reel the game back in and bring the score to within one with just over eight minutes remaining in the half, but from that point on, the Demon Deacons stole the show. 

They put up nine straight points, and despite a small push from the Eagles to put four more on the board, came away with a strong lead going into the first break.

At the half, the Eagles were down by 10, trailing Wake Forest with a score of 29-19. Shooting only 29 percent from the field, BC would have to put in an immense effort during the second half to counter balance Wake’s 40 percent shooting.

In the second half of play, Wake scored the first four points, but less than three minutes in, the Eagle offense woke up. Freshman Nicole Boudreau made the first move for BC with a 3-pointer, and from there her teammates followed in her wake.

The Eagles put up nine straight with contributions from Doherty, Zenevitch, and Boudreau, then worked back to within one with just over 12 minutes remaining to play. Finally, with 10 minutes remaining, a free throw by BC’s Tessah Holt put the Eagles ahead for the first time since their 3-pointer started off the game.

But the Wake Forest offense would not be caught sleeping, and as soon as the Eagles took the lead the Deacons responded, snatching back it immediately. The Eagles were unable to respond, and steady shooting from Wake expanded  the Demon Deacon lead once again.

The day was not over for the Eagles, however. Despite being down by seven with only a few minutes left to play, the offense snapped into action, this time spurred by top performer Zenevitch. In the last three minutes, she had seven points, and a layup by Shayra Brown put the Eagles even with Wake one final time.

The fairy tale comeback was nearly complete, but with 18 seconds to go, a jumper by Wake’s Chelsea Douglas put an end to the Eagles’ hopes. 

The final score was a close 61-59, Wake Forest managing to edge past the very near BC comeback.

Of Zenevitch’s career high 24, 20 of those came in the second half as the Eagles pushed themselves back into contention, but her standout performance was not enough to stand up to Wake Forest’s relentless attack. 

Wake had a strong individual performance to match BC’s with Dearica Hamby, a sophomore forward, putting up 22 points of her own and taking nine rebounds.

Though it was a disappointing loss for the Eagles, their eighth in conference play, head coach Erik Johnson did not fail to see the high points. 

“I thought Katie Zenevitch did a phenomenal job. She really carried us offensively. She was able to score and find open players,” he said. “I’m really proud of our players to be able to come back and continue to battle.”