WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: Eagles Drop Two ACC Contests On The Road

Published: Monday, January 28, 2013

Updated: Monday, January 28, 2013 00:01

The women’s BC basketball team suffered two ACC on-the-road losses to Virginia on Thursday night and Duke on Sunday afternoon. 

The Eagles traveled to Durham, North Carolina to face the Duke Blue Devils in Cameron Indoor Stadium on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. In the first half, things were looking hopeful for the downtrodden Eagles when BC scored five unanswered points to bring the score to a 14-12 Duke lead. However, this two-point game quickly became a seven-point game when Duke scored a three pointer and a lay-up to bring the score to 19-12. 

“They make you pay for every mistake you make,” BC forward Kristen Doherty said. “When you get in those huddles when you make a mistake, what we need to work on is not letting it affect our next play as much as we do.”

From that point on, Duke remained firmly in command. Duke junior Tricia Liston boasted an impressive four-for-four three pointers in the first half alone. Her teammate Chelsea Gray, who is praised for her ability to create offense with her defense, proved a worthy competitor to BC’s offense. Due in part to BC’s inability to execute on offense, BC trailed by 16 at the half with a 49-33 Duke lead.

With three triples in the first half, Kerri Shields helped to match Liston’s intensity on the other end. However, fatigue took its toll on the Eagles in the second half as Duke strengthened their lead. BC had possession at the start, but Duke stole the first four points to set the tone for the rest of the half.

“Their hands were everywhere, and they made it difficult for our penetrators to get by them,” BC coach Erik Johnson said. “And when they did, they had hands in every passing lane, and it made it really hard for us to get our shooters open.

Despite offensive leadership from Doherty, who had 14 points in the game, the Eagles were unable to keep up. The Eagles lost to the Blue Devils 80-56. This BC loss would be the Eagles’ fourth in a row, and would Duke’s record to 18-1, 8-0 in the ACC conference. In the two teams’ history, BC has played Duke 13 times, with the Blue Devils leading the series 11-2. 

On Thursday night, the Eagles faced the Virginia Cavaliers in John Paul Jones Arena, where they struggled to keep up offensively. Kerri Shields led the team with 15 points, with teammates Doherty and Nicole Boudreau close behind her with 12 and 11 points, respectively . At the half, BC trailed UVA by six, with a score of 33-27. 

The Eagles fell farther behind in the second half, where they shot just 27 percent from the floor. BC’s first seven points came from foul shots. The cold streak was not broken until the 7:06 mark, when Boudreau hit the first field goal of the second half for the Eagles. Boudreau cut the Eagle’s despite to nine points with a 3-pointer in the final two minutes of play, but the effort was not enough and the Eagles fell to UVA 69-57. 

Freshman Nicole Boudreau has been named ACC’s Rookie of the Week after averaging 17 points, 5.5 rebounds, and two assists in two games last week. She is currently the Eagles’ third leading scorer and ACC leader in minutes played, all due to her remarkable instinct and skill level. 

After a long time on the road, the Eagles look forward to returning home and preparing to face their next opponent on Thursday, Jan. 31, when they will face NC State.