WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: Eagles Edged By Miami Scoring Outburst

Asst. Sports Editor

Published: Monday, February 18, 2013

Updated: Monday, February 18, 2013 00:02

On Sunday, the women’s basketball team traveled to Miami in hopes of securing their fifth ACC win. Coming off of a commanding win over Virginia, the Eagles hoped to get two straight wins for the first time since the beginning of January.

The Eagles efforts were not enough to combat a heavy offensive effort from the ACC No. 5 Miami. In the two teams’ first meeting of the year, BC fell by a margin of 25 points with a final score of 79-54.

BC was quick to trail, falling behind 40-29 at the half. During the half, they had a strong shooting percentage with 46 percent from the field, but they only had 24 attempts. That combined with only 6 attempts at 3-pointers, 33 percent of which were hit, was not enough to combat strong numbers from Miami.

The Hurricanes hit 53 percent of their shots from the field. With 30 attempts, that was enough to give Miami a commanding lead despite making only two 3-pointers.

Things did not turn up for the Eagles in the second half. Miami started with an 11-7 run that put the finishing touches on the game, presenting the Eagles with an insurmountable deficit. Once again BC was held to a low number of attempts from the field, this time only 23. This was not a steep decrease from the first half, but the accuracy plummeted, with the Eagles making only 26 percent of their attempts.

Miami’s accuracy decreased as well, scoring on only 41 percent of their 34 attempts, but a stronger showing in the 3-pointer column with 33 percent allowed them to maintain their large lead, eventually ending the game up by 15.

Despite the loss, there were a couple of strong performances for BC. Katie Zenevitch scored 15 points and had ten rebounds as she tried to hold her team in contention with the Hurricanes. Shayra Brown came off the bench for the Eagles and was the only other player with double-digit scoring with ten points. 

Miami had five double-digit performers with Shawnice Wilson headlining the game with 17 points and nine rebounds. On her heels was Morgan Stroman, who also tallied 17 points to go with her six rebounds.

This was the ninth conference loss for the Eagles, their 14th of the season.