WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: Second Half Bursts Give Eagles Home Victory Over Cross-Town Rival

Published: Thursday, December 12, 2013

Updated: Thursday, December 12, 2013 02:12

After losing three straight games, the women’s basketball team bounced back with consecutive victories. In the game following Sunday’s win over Hartford,  five players on head coach Erik Johnson’s squad put up double digits scoring figures in the team’s 63-52 win over Boston University on Wednesday night. 

Sarah Hope and Danielle Callahan helped the Terriers get off to a fast start with two 3-pointers, but the Eagles would not let their cross-town rivals pull away, as a Kat Cooper layup before the first media timeout cut BU’s lead to one. 

Throughout the first half, the visitors would take a brief lead only for the home side to pull it back from them. 

With 7:20 remaining in the first half, Callahan drained another triple, but Kelly Hughes knocked down a three of her own 20 seconds later to make it a 17-16 game.  Kristen Doherty led all scorers with 14 points and her free throw, moments later, leveled the matchup at 17.

BC’s defense buckled down after another Hope 3-pointer put BU ahead. Over the next four minutes, Johnson’s team would go on a 9-0 run that started with a layup by Katie Zenevitch. Doherty’s jumper gave the Eagles their first lead of the game with 5:05 left in the half. Another easy finish from Zenevitch topped off the run at the 2:30 mark to give the hosts a 26-20 lead.

While a three from Callahan cut BC’s lead in half, the home team would maintain a 28-24 advantage headed into the intermission.

Melissa Gallo helped the Terriers equalize with the Eagles three minutes into the second period of play with a 3-pointer, but Lauren Engeln’s layup saw the home team take a lead they would not relinquish. A triple from Hughes followed, the assist coming from Doherty, and Cooper would get a dish from Engeln to finish an 8-0 BC run. 

BU trimmed their deficit to four, but back-to-back 3-pointers from Hughes put BC up 44-34 with 13:43 left, causing BU head coach Kelly Greenberg to take a timeout. 

Two free throws from Cooper extended the BC lead to 15 points, but two straight threes from Clodagh Scannell saw the Terriers come within nine of the Eagles.

Johnson’s team did not give into the pressure applied by the visitors. Another 8-0 run from BC earned the team its biggest lead of the game (17 points), when a layup from Doherty found the bottom of the hoop with five minutes left in regulation.