WOMEN'S HOCKEY: BC And Harvard Tie In Overtime

Asst. Sports Editor

Published: Monday, December 9, 2013

Updated: Monday, December 9, 2013 04:12

Since the fourth minute of play, the Boston College women’s hockey team had been fighting a deficit. With both teams executing on defense, the Eagles and the Crimson had held each other scoreless through the greater part of three periods. It wasn’t until less than a minute and a half remained to play in the third period that the deadlock was broken—BC’s Emily Phalzer took a feed and fired a shot from the left circle, dashing Harvard’s Emerance Maschmeyer’s shutout hopes and sending the game to overtime.

While Phalzer’s goal was the late push that BC needed to send the game to extra minutes, her efforts were not matched on either side in the additional period, leaving the game to end in a 1-1 tie when the Eagles visited Harvard on Saturday night.

BC was not without chances during the bulk of play, as the Eagles ended up outshooting the Crimson 52-36 over the course of the game, with Corinne Boyles putting up 35 saves to Maschemeyer’s 51. Haley Skarupa, BC’s leading scorer, accounted for 14 of the Eagles’ shots, while no other player posted more than four, but she didn’t post any points on the day.

It did not take Harvard long to claim its first and only lead of the night. Just over three minutes into the first period of play, Miye D’Oench sent an unassisted goal past Boyles, marking the game’s first goal. From there on out, the first period remained scoreless, each team taking a penalty but neither special teams unit profiting off of the man advantage.

The second period was tightly contested, with BC taking 13 shots and Harvard taking 12 as the teams played back and forth. Even with the Crimson taking three penalties during the frame, the Eagles couldn’t penetrate Maschemeyer’s front, entering the third period with the one goal deficit from the first period still standing.

The teams played another 18 scoreless minutes during the third period, again trading penalties that neither offensive unit capitalized on. In this segment of play, however, the shots were heavily in favor of the Eagles as they turned up the offensive pressure, sending 18 toward Maschemeyer. All but one was stopped, as Phalzer scored her game-tying goal with just 1:33 remaining in regulation.

The five-minute overtime period was lopsided in the other direction, with the Crimson outshooting the Eagles 7-3, but Boyles added all seven shots to her save total, as the extra period and game came to an end with the teams still tied at 1.

Maschemeyer’s 51 saves marked a career high, surpassing her previous record of 44, which she set earlier this season against Princeton on Oct. 26. With the performance, she also moved into the Harvard record books in third place for saves in a single game.