WOMEN'S HOCKEY: BC Defeats Black Bears

Published: Sunday, February 3, 2013

Updated: Sunday, February 3, 2013 22:02

The Boston College women’s ice hockey team landed its 16th win in the last 17 games Saturday night against the University of Maine. The Black Bears were unable to quell the Eagles’ fierce offense, leading to a final score of 6-3.

The Eagles came out strong from the start, pelting Maine’s goaltender Brittany Ott with 14 shots. Nothing seemed to slip by the Black Bears defense, however, resulting in a scoreless tie at the end of the period.

A power-play goal by  Maine’s Shawna Lesperance at the very beginning of the second period put the Black Bears ahead of the Eagles 1-0. Sophomore Alex Carpenter responded by beating Maine’s defense twice within a 2:35 span to give BC a 2-1 advantage. These scores brought Carpenter’s season scoring total to 23 goals.

Adding to BC’s lead were junior Melissa Bizzari and Lexi Bender, a freshman, who each added a goal to finish out the second period with a score of 4-1.

The Black Bears managed to score once more during the final period, but the Eagles’ offense could not be stopped, as seniors Dru Burns and Kate Leary each tallied a goal toward the end of the game.  Being a defensive player, Burns’s goal was her first since January of last season.

With just seconds remaining, Lesperance slipped one past the BC defense to end the game with a score of 6-3. The game left Maine with an overall record of 4-19-3, while BC now boasts a record of 20-4-2.

Saturday’s game allowed Carpenter to extend her personal point streak to a Hockey East record 24 games with a point distribution of 23-28-49. Bizzari continued her own seven-game point streak, totaling seven goals and five assists.

The Eagles’ next game will be against Harvard this Tuesday during the 35th annual Beanpot Tournament. The game will take place at Northeastern’s Matthews Arena.