WOMEN'S HOCKEY: BC Remains On Top Of Hockey East

Updated: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 23:02

The Boston College women’s hockey team looked to complete a season sweep against the Providence Friars Tuesday night in Providence. The Eagles (24-5-2, 16-2-1) were able to come out victorious on the back of sophomore Alex Carpenter. With a 5-2 win over the Friars (14-13-5, 8-8-3), the Eagles were able to tie a school record for most wins in a season with 24. 

The first period was a hard-fought battle with both teams hoping to strike first. The Friars and the Eagles were both unable to convert on a power play, leaving the game scoreless for most of the first. 

BC got on the board first, as Carpenter scored off a rebound from a shot by junior Melissa Bizzari. The goal marked Carpenter’s 28th of the season and sent the Eagles to the break by with a 1-0 lead. Senior goaltender Corinne Boyles recorded 10 saves for the Eagles in the first, while freshman Sarah Bryant recorded nine saves for the Friars. 

The scoring picked up in the second period, as sophomore Emily Field put the Eagles up 2-0 just under four minutes into the second with her 14th goal of the year. The Friars responded just 32 seconds later to make the game 2-1, when sophomore Beth Hanrahan converted a loose puck in front of the net. 

The Eagles later responded with 8:24 left in the period, when Carpenter was able to net a rebound off of a Field breakaway for her 29th goal of the season. Carpenter’s goal marked her 50th career goal as an Eagle, and put BC up 3-1. The Friars were able to cut the deficit to 3-2 when, with 4:36 remaining, senior Nicole Anderson rebounded a shot by freshman Brittney Thunstrom for a goal. This sent the Friars into the third trailing by one.

Boyles recorded 10 saves in the second period, while Bryant was able to record 12. The Eagles were not able to convert on their lone power play in the period, while the Friars were able to convert on one of two power play opportunities. 

The Eagles opened up their lead 35 seconds into the third Carpenter netted her 30th goal of the year to record a hat trick. BC remained on top 4-2 until with 11:24 left in the contest when freshman Dana Trivigno was able to convert. This goal was Trivigno’s 13th of the season and put the Eagles up 5-2. 

From here until the end of the game, no more scoring took place. Boyles recorded six saves in the third, while Bryant recorded 12. Both teams had one power play in the third, but failed to convert. 

With this win, the Eagles maintained their lead in the Hockey East, with Boston University a close second. Boyles collected 26 saves in the game, while Bryant collected 29. The Eagles had the advantage of shots on goal by a count of 34 to 28. The five goals scored by BC made the goal-count for the year 146 surpassing their previous high for goals scored in a year was 143.