WOMEN'S HOCKEY: Offensive Rout Ices UConn

Published: Monday, January 28, 2013

Updated: Monday, January 28, 2013 00:01

WIH

The Boston College women’s hockey team (19-4-2, 12-2-1) is back on track with two wins in two days, after a Jan. 19 loss to Mercyhurst, that broke the Eagle’s 13 game win streak.

On Saturday, the Eagles traveled to the Schneider Arena to face the Providence Friars, where Melissa Bizzari leveled a dramatic game winner to give BC a 4-3 win. This was goalie Megan Miller’s first time back on the ice since November, and she made 25 saves to help lead the Eagles to victory.

The team then bused back to the Kelley Rink for a home game versus Connecticut on Sunday. Here, Alex Carpenter and Bizari scored five goals combined, Carpenter with a hat trick, to contribute to the 8-0 win against the Huskies.

The game opened with BC winning the faceoff, and a shot whizzed wide of the goal after a rush down the left wing. This would start a trend, as the Eagles laid a relative siege on the Huskies in the first period.

Shot after shot commenced, eventually ending in 15 on the period, culminating with defender Kaliya Johnson pinging a long shot off of the post. Shortly after, Bizzari put home the first goal of the game, pushing it past the opposing goalie amidst a mob of players clouded around the goal. BC managed to keep the puck in possession for extended periods of time, racking up numerous turnovers in addition to critical checks.

Then in the space of about a minute of play, the Eagles added three more to their goal tally. Carpenter netted the second, diving across the ice to tap in a rebounded Blake Bolden shot. 

Moments later, Emily Field swept down the left wing and passed it into slot to give Ashley Motherwell her only goal on the night. Then, after a tangle in front of the net, a push from Field was just enough to light the lamp, putting the Eagles up by four.

The second period began with what seemed like more BC domination, but unraveled into an even half. UConn stepped up their game from the previous period, managing eight shots rather than three, as well as putting up more pressure on the defensive side of the puck. Neither side took the edge, or a goal.

Head coach Katie King Crowley credited the downturn in goals to complacency.

“After a four goal first period, you can get a little bit undisciplined. I thought we were trying to make fancy plays instead of playing our game,” she said.

The final period came and went much the same as the first with four more goals for BC, the Eagles controlling possession and the shot count. The first goal came from Carpenter, who stole the puck towards the middle of the ice, beat two defenders with a nice move, and flicked it in for a goal.

Taylor Waslyk was the next goal scorer, hitting the puck from a tough angle on the right side of the goal. Next, Carpenter completed her hat trick, converting from the slot after Field crossed in to her from the left side. Bizzari put away the cap on the night, as she wrapped up a rebounded shot with her backhand.

Goalie Miller finished with her first career shutout, making 14 saves.

Crowley was content overall with the way her team played against the Huskies.

“They were really able to take it to them in that first period and put them back on their heels,” she said. “That’s what we asked them to do, was come out hard and control the play.”

She added that all four lines did a great job of staying disciplinedw throughout the game, and pointed to that as another key component in the victory.

When asked whether to expect another long winning streak, Crowley replied with a laugh and an “I hope so.”