WOMEN'S HOCKEY: With Top Scorer Missing, Trivigno, Wasylk, and Boyles Step Up For BC

Published: Sunday, January 26, 2014

Updated: Monday, January 27, 2014 02:01

Trivigno and Wasylk pick up the slack

With Boston College facing its third straight game without leading scorer Haley Skarupa, it was fair to ask who would generate the offense. In Saturday’s game against UNH, the two players stepping up to the challenge were forwards Dana Trivigno and Taylor Wasylk, the second and first stars of the game, respectively. In the first period, the duo was unstoppable as the UNH defenders looked against them. Wasylk scored her sixth and seventh goals of the year in just under a seven-minute span, with those goals sandwiching Trivigno’s seventh goal of the season.
Head coach Katie King Crowley put it best about the new linemates when she said, “it seemed like today they really started to gel and find each other … we’ve been waiting for more lines to step up, especially when we have Haley Skarupa out, so when your leading scorer’s out, you need some help offensively, and those two really helped out today.” On each of Wasylk’s goals, Trivigno notched the primary assist, with Wasylk returning the favor on Trivigno’s goal.
Wasylk’s first goal came from Trivigno wrapping around the net off a faceoff. Junior Kate Leary fired a shot at the net from the right circle that bounced off to the right of the net, where it was gathered by Trivigno and taken around behind. At the left post, Wasylk took the pass from Trivigno and slotted it under the outstretched arm of a diving Ashley Wilkes, UNH’s freshman goaltender.
BC’s next goal was a product of hard work from Wasylk and a beautiful shot by Trivigno, as UNH tried to clear the puck around the boards. The puck deflected off Wasylk’s stick and out to the point where it was gathered by Trivigno, who slotted a wrist shot past Wilkes’ blocker and into the net. 
The third goal came thanks to some precocious defense as Meagan Mangene’s poke check in the offensive zone went right to Dana Trivigno. Wasylk found some space and called for the puck. Trivigno delivered a perfect pass, and Wasylk one-timed a slapshot through Wilkes’ five-hole for the 3-0 first period lead, and a total of six points for the two players in the period. Trivigno had the primary assist on BC’s next goal, a power-play goal scored by Kristyn Capizzano. Though that was the only point recorded by either Trivigno or Wasylk for the rest of the game, their presence was felt every time they were on the ice, as they continued to generate chance after chance for BC.

Boyles asserts her seniority

Senior goaltender Corinne Boyles, who has been BC’s rock in net, earned the win in her 110th career game. In the first period, Wilkes got off to a slow start, letting up those three goals to Trivigno and Wasylk. Boyles faced much less of a challenge in the first, facing four shots and turning them all aside.
The second period was slightly busier for Boyles, as she was hit with a barrage of UNH shots, though not all were grade-A chances. Of the 20 shots she faced in the period, she saved 19 of them, while Wilkes turned aside all 10 BC shots in the second.
The third period was more like the first, with Wilkes facing 13 shots and saving 11, letting up the first two goals of the period to make the score 5-1 BC. At that point, it seemed as if BC began to coast, and the Eagles let UNH back into the game. Boyles saved six shots and allowed two to hit the back of the net, leaving the final score at 5-3. Cassandra Vilgrain scored UNH’s second and third goals, with her first coming off pressure on Boyles.
A defensive assignment error left Vilgrain out in front of Boyles with enough time to shoot, collect her own rebound, and put the puck into the far side of the net for UNH’s second of the game. Her second goal came on another defensive breakdown—Vilgrain was able to sneak behind the BC defense. With Boyles out of her crease, a quick pass from UNH forward Heather Kashman led to an easy one-time finish into a wide-open net. But that was as close as the game would get, as Boyles stood strong at the finish to turn aside any other opportunities UNH had.
Crowley was satisfied with the performance she got out of Boyles. “[There were]certainly breakdowns on our part, that we need to kinda clean up, that we’ll continue to talk to the kids about, but I thought Corinne made some saves when we needed her to, and that’s what we look for from our goaltenders,” Crowley said.
Despite giving up five goals, it is hard to mention the goaltending of this game without commending Wilkes for her performance. Fighting through a poor start, Wilkes turned aside a number of excellent opportunities for the BC forwards, robbing a number of different players on breakaways. The second period especially, Wilkes was steady in net, killing off two BC power plays, as well as stopping BC after a few defensive breakdowns on UNH power plays. Although Saturday wasn’t her best day at the beginning of the game, it’s not hard to see Wilkes being a staple between the pipes for UNH for the next few years.