Women’s Soccer Moves To Top Of The ACC

Published: Monday, October 3, 2011

hgfdsdfghj

Alex Trautwig / Heights Editor

After two straight overtime victories last weekend, the Boston College women's soccer team was hoping for a little less drama heading into Sunday's game at Clemson. The Eagles removed any doubt early, cruising to a 4-0 victory that puts them in first place in the ACC and keeps them undefeated at 9-0-2.

The Eagles pounced on the Tigers early, as senior Stephanie Wirth scored her first goal of the season in the 37th minute off a corner kick from junior Kristen Mewis. Sophomore Zoe Lombard also received credit for the assist. Freshman Stephanie McCaffrey followed with a goal right before the end of the first half, beating the keeper on a one-on-one, just eight minutes after Wirth's goal, to put the Tigers away.

In the second half, freshman Rachel Davitt scored for the Eagles in the 61st minute, off an assist from Victoria DiMartino. Wirth ended the scoring spree with a goal in the 70th minute off a pass from Mewis, her second goal of the game. Goalkeeper Jillian Mastroianni earned her eighth shutout of the season, making two saves to anchor the BC defense.

BC dominated every aspect of the game, outshooting Clemson 21-9 while posting a 15-3 advantage in shots on goal. The victory gives BC a 4-0 record in the conference, the first time the Eagles have won their first four ACC games since joining in 2005. The victory also marks the first time in program history the Eagles have won three straight ACC road games.

Sunday's win over Clemson gives BC some much-needed momentum heading into a huge match-up with No. 4 Duke on Thursday night in Newton. Duke is currently second in the ACC after tying Wake Forest last week. The Blue Devils are also off to the best start in school history at 11-1. A win Thursday would be a huge boost to the Eagles as they look to earn an ACC title.

The Eagles are in peak form entering an important stretch of their season. With only six games remaining before the start of the ACC championship, BC hopes to keep its spot on top of the conference and gain some momentum before beginning their pursuit of the program's first national title.