WOMEN'S SOCCER: Tigers Take Down The Eagles

Published: Sunday, September 15, 2013

Updated: Sunday, September 15, 2013 23:09

soccer

After a win against the Pittsburgh Panthers on Thursday, the Boston College women’s soccer team put their perfect road record on the line against the Clemson Tigers in a Sunday afternoon showdown.

BC was without their leading scorer, sophomore McKenzie Meehan, who traveled with the team but did not dress for the game (coach’s decision). The Eagles could have used her scoring ability, as they lacked offensive firepower in a 2-1 loss to the Tigers.

The first half was defined by back-and-forth action, with each team receiving chances to score but not capitalizing. Clemson threatened with a few attacks midway through the half, but aggressive defense by senior goalkeeper Jessica Mickelson kept them out of the net. Head coach Alison Foley’s squad headed into halftime locked in a scoreless draw, having controlled the pace for most of play with no results to show for it.

After a few late offensive possessions led to a slight momentum shift in favor of Clemson at the end of the half, the Tigers came out firing on all cylinders to start the second half. Thanks to a few stellar saves from Mickelson, they were kept off the board.

One of the Eagles’ best chances came in the 58th minute, when freshman Hayley Dowd escaped the keeper and had an open net to shoot at but pushed the ball high and wide. This missed opportunity proved to be costly as just a minute later, Clemson senior midfielder Vanessa Laxgang found a hole in the defense and unleashed a blistering shot that beat Mickelson on the right side.

After taking the late lead, the Tigers dropped back on defense and looked poised to hold on for a victory. But BC caught a break in the 73rd minute when Clemson defender Claire Wagner deflected a cross past goalkeeper Kailen Sheridan into her own net, evening the score at 1-1.

With just under six minutes remaining, though, Clemson took hold of the lead once again, converting on a play that started with a goal kick from Sheridan. The Tigers marched up the field and scored on a beautiful cross from Tabitha Padgett to the head of Jenna Polansky right in front of the net.

Despite a frenzied attack in the final minutes, BC didn’t have enough time to convert as Clemson held on to take the win, snapping the Eagles’ three-game winning streak. The loss brings the team to 4-3-0 on the season, and 1-1-0 within the conference.

The Eagles will look to rebound when they return home for a series of games against ACC rivals. BC will play the University of Virginia on Thursday, followed by a matchup with Virginia Tech on Sunday.

In five of their first seven games, BC has been held to one goal or less. They hope to break out offensively in their upcoming match against the high-powered Cavaliers, who are ranked No. 2 in the country.