Star Value

Published: Thursday, January 17, 2013

Updated: Thursday, January 17, 2013 01:01

Just when we thought there were no more music genres left to be invented, the world of popular culture gets hit by a very young, platinum blonde phenomenon named Kerli. This odd-looking, pixie-like singer is completely foreign, not only in nature, but in musical style.

Kerli was born and raised in Estonia, a small country in eastern Europe that was formerly part of the Soviet Union. After participating in several musical contests throughout Europe, she was finally signed to The Island Def Jam Music Group in 2006, and her renown has increased ever since. The genre of her music has instigated a noteworthy amount of confusion, for it does sound a bit like pop, but it has a dark and eerie component to it that makes it strive from what is commonly heard on standard airwaves. She gave it a name, and one that completely matches the gothic-yet-adorable outfits she wears in her sinister music videos: Bubble Goth. In the lyrics of her most famous song, “Walking On Air,” Kerli describes herself pretty well: “Little creepy girl with her little creepy face saying funny things you have never heard.” With her Alice in Wonderland-esque style and very catchy music, Kerli is definitely a rising star to stay on the lookout for.