Support our Teams Through Thick and Thin

Despite success of our athletic teams, strong Superfan presence at games will boost morale

Published: Thursday, November 15, 2012

The men’s basketball team’s home schedule is underway, as the season opener at Conte Forum was squeezed into last weekend’s jam-packed sports weekend. Boston College won 84-70, displaying its new squad with more experience than it had last season. The women’s basketball team kicks off its home schedule tonight against BYU under Erik Johnson, the new head coach, who brings an energy and excitement to the program. While both programs have struggled in recent years, they have the potential to become something special. The student section at these games has not been packed unless BC is facing a top-25 opponent. The Heights reminds students that they have an opportunity to change that.

Just three years ago, student attendance at men’s hockey games wasn’t great, but two National Championships later, most games are sold out as Superfans fill Conte Forum to the brim. The support for the team has been tremendous, but it wasn’t always that way. The wins brought in the fans due to the team’s own success.

The Heights believes, though, that there’s something special about supporting a team through thick and thin. It’s easy to say you’re a fan when your team is enjoying great success, but it’s even better to say you were a fan when the team was struggling through tough seasons. That is the definition of a true fan.

These teams aren’t just composed of athletes. They’re composed of our own classmates, friends, and peers. These student-athletes put in hours of tireless work each week, just like all of us do in our own clubs and activities. It’s tough when people only support you when your finished product is the best it can possibly be. 

The Heights believes that students support their classmates in all sports, win or lose. The student-athletes set a great example by attending other teams’ games and other classmates’ events outside of athletics. Don’t let a team’s record keep you from going to a game. Go because your classmate is playing point guard, or a girl who lives in your dorm is playing center. Go to show support for your fellow Eagles and to bolster our community. They will appreciate it more than you know.