This Week In

Published: Thursday, November 7, 2013

Updated: Thursday, November 7, 2013 00:11

MBTA

Last Wednesday, at about the same time Koji Uehara finished off the St. Louis Cardinals for the World Series win, Transit Police officers pursued a man into the MBTA Green Line portal tunnel at Blandford Street station. William Goodhue, 23, of Allston, was arrested and charged with trespassing after officers reached him at Kenmore station. Goodhue’s stunt caused multiple MBTA delays as well as the closure of the Hynes and Kenmore stations at arguably the busiest time of the night on one of the most traveled days of the year. When placed in custody, Goodhue was unharmed and taken to Transit Police headquarters. He is expected to face charges in Roxbury District Court today. Although Goodhue managed to cause a few substantial delays, Transit Police and MBTA employees were able to finish off the exciting night smoothly.

Eclipses

On Sunday morning, residents of Boston and those along the entire East Coast had the chance to witness a partial solar eclipse. At about 6:20 a.m. the sun rose over the east horizon, but instead of the regular full-circle that sits among the clouds every day, the sun was missing a large chunk out of its lower right side. The silhouette of the new moon, as it begins its monthly cycle across the sky, overtook the sun until 7:12 a.m., explaining its missing piece. Though only a fraction of the sun was concealed from view in Boston, along a narrow line crossing the Atlantic Ocean to Gabon through Kenya in equatorial Africa, the event was a much more dramatic, total eclipse. Although always a unique sight to witness, U.S. eclipse enthusiasts are more excited for the total solar eclipse that will move across the nation from Oregon to South Carolina on Aug. 21, 2017, leaving the New England sun a thin sliver instead of a sphere.

Cuisine

This past week Coca-Cola announced that it would join Boston in celebrating the World Series victory with a specially designed Red Sox Coke can. The commemorative cans will be produced locally at the Coca-Cola production site in Needham, Mass. and, per a statement released on Friday, will include the Red Sox logo with a message of congratulations. Vice President of Market Unit Sales Operations, Coca-Cola Refreshments USA, Inc., Susan Fagan, stated that with the dedicatory Coke can, the company is “toasting the Boston Red Sox and their fans to celebrate this thrilling baseball season.” The special-edition sodas will be available for Red Sox fans to purchase at participating retailors in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Maine, and Vermont early next week.

Politics

On Tuesday, Boston wasn’t the only city to elect new political figures. New York declared Bill De Blasio, 52, as Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s replacement. Defeating Republican Joe Lhota, the head of the Metropolitan Transit Authority, De Blasio was elected New York City’s first Democratic mayor in 20 years. Though his liberal running platform contrasted Bloomberg’s record over the past 12 years, De Blasio managed to secure 72 percent of the vote to guarantee his role as the 109th mayor of the nation’s most populous city. Voters also flocked to the polls in New Jersey to reelect Chris Christie as governor. The incumbent led his challenger, Democrat Barbara Buono, by almost 23 percentage points, making him the only Republican in 30 years to win an electoral majority statewide.

Whoops!

On Tuesday night after the mayoral election results were counted in Boston, Vice President Joseph Biden attempted to call Marty Walsh to offer congratulations on his win. Biden, however, mistakenly called Martin Walsh, a former aide to U.S. Senator Edward M. Kennedy, who is currently the president of Gateway Public Solutions in Boston. Biden wasn’t the only politician to make the mistake, with Walsh also receiving voicemails from vice chairman of the Democratic National Committee and mayor of Minneapolis, R.T. Ryback, as well as the chairwoman of the DNC, U.S. Representative Debbie Wasserman Schultz of Florida. In each of the situations, Walsh graciously thanked the callers from his couch in Natick and helped them contact the other, Mayor-elect Marty Walsh, who was celebrating at the Park Plaza Hotel.