To be heard, fill out Student Conduct survey

Given the OIR review of the Student Conduct System, The Heights urges students to provide criticism

Published: Sunday, October 14, 2012

The policies of ResLife are one of the most complained-about topics on campus. Any organization that is tasked with enforcing policies, especially ones that often conflict with popular activities of the student body, is bound to garner complaints from many students—especially those who have been subject to its sanctions. Students complain that policies and sanctions are unfair and not transparent enough, and they are often frustrated when their voices seem to go unheard.

With this sentiment in mind, the Office of Institutional Research (OIR) is conducting a review of the current Student Conduct System. OIR sent out an email to the student body asking for student feedback regarding their understanding of and experience with the conduct system. This survey is open to both students who have been involved in the student conduct system and those who have not. These confidential surveys could potentially effect change in the current system, and are therefore pivotal tools for students to have their voices heard.

Considering this opportunity to effect change, The Heights urges students to complete the survey. Any concerned students should feel compelled to give their feedback, and even students who are not as knowledgeable about the Student Conduct System can provide valuable information to the review. We would like to remind students to give both positive and negative feedback, and to do so constructively. If students want their voice to be heard, it is essential that they participate—especially in such a quick, easy format.