Tony Taccone, BC Seniors Receive Awards For Contributions To The Arts

Published: Monday, April 30, 2012

Tony T 4/30

Daniel Lee / Heights Editor

On Friday afternoon, the 14th annual Arts Awards Celebration and Reception was held in O’Neill Plaza. The Arts Council Alumni Award was presented to Tony Taccone, BC ’72, and the Faculty Award to Michael Noone, chair of the music department. The award ceremony opened with a performance by Kristin Drew, A&S ’12. Accompanied by trumpet player George Frideric Handel, A&S ’13, and pianist Sandra Hebert, Drew performed a rendition of “Let the Bright Seraphim” by George Handel.

Crystal Tiala, chairperson of the Arts Council, welcomed the students, faculty, and guests to the ceremony. She recognized the progress of the Arts Festival and the continued improvements to the Boston College arts departments. This year, funding sources for the Arts Festival expanded. The Carroll School of Management, Student Affairs, and the Center for Student Formation now benefit the program. Tiala went on to congratulate the artistic accomplishments of BC students, faculty, and alumni.

“Our students are engaged, reflective, proactive, empathetic human beings,” Tiala said. “Through the arts we come to know not how we are different, but how we are all connected.”

After Tiala’s welcoming, University President Rev. William P. Leahy, S.J. addressed the audience, congratulating the students and faculty for their accomplishments and thanking them for their continued contributions to the arts at BC.

“The arts are a part of who we are as a Jesuit institution,” Leahy said. “We want our students to engage their inner spirits here at Boston College. In honoring Tony Taccone, we are honoring someone who has not only had much success in the drama department but someone who has helped so many students get in touch with their inner talents.”

Following Leahy’s speech, the Arts and Science faculty presented the student awards. Aileen Bianchi, A&S ’12, was presented with an award for film by John Hoover and Gautam Chopra. Jennifer Brubaker, A&S ’12, was presented with an award by Sheila Gallagher for studio art. John Delfino, A&S ’12, was presented with an award by Scott Cummings for theater. Kristen Drew, A&S ’12, was presented with an award for studio art by Ralf Gawlick. Brenna Kelley, A&S ’12, was presented with an award by John Finney for music. Christie Mealo, A&S ’12, was presented with an award by Andrew Tavarelli for studio art. Eileen Won, A&S ’12, was awarded by Jeffery Howe and Claude Cernuschi for art history. After, award recipient Brenna Kelly performed a rendition of “Home,” from the Broadway show Beauty and the Beast.

David Quigley, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, presented the Faculty Award to Michael Noone, professor and chairman of the music department. Noone was recognized for his accomplishments as a musicologist and choral director. The BC professor has recorded more than two dozen CDs for the DGG-Archive, Glossa and ABC Classics labels. His Ensemble’s CDs have received high praise from critics, and their performances at the most prestigious International Festivals are consistently acclaimed.

“In my heart, I feel there are many more worthy recipients,” Noone said. “Nevertheless, I am so grateful for this award.”

Following the Faculty Award, Catherine Ianno, development manager at the Center for Arts in Natick and BC ’89, spoke about the 14th annual Arts Festival. Ianno discussed the importance of the arts. After her remarks, John A. Fuedo, BC ’82, presented the Alumni Award to Tony Taccone.

Taccone is a theater director and the artistic director of Berkeley Repertory Theatre. Taccone has spent 15 years directing and performing at Berkeley. His performances have received much success in the past and two of his shows have made it to the stages of Broadway. Taccone was recently lauded as “the most prominent artistic director in America right now” by Playbill. He spoke to BC faculty, students, and guests about his experiences in the arts.

“It’s been 40 years since I’ve been back on this campus,” Taccone said. “My four years here were explosive. Filled with literature, politics, theatre, and drama. Being an artist has been a challenge. Let’s be real, this is not a culture that encourages the wandering and meandering of the soul. But there is no greater calling than that of an artist. By conferring this award on me, you have validated that. Thank you.”