UGBC Fashion Show Emphasizes Diversity

Published: Sunday, November 18, 2012

ugbc fashion

Emily Sadeghian / Heights Staff

Descending the lit staircase of the O’Connell House and stepping onto an audience-flanked runway, Boston College students displayed a diversity of styles Thursday night at the UGBC fashion show.

Co-sponsored by the UGBC Community Relations department, the GLBTQ Leadership Council (GLC), and Nights on the Heights, the show, titled “A Day in the Life of a BC Student” explored the various elements of the BC student body’s style as it transitions from classes and extracurricular activities to social events and the dating scene. These four scenarios were utilized to break up the show into “realms” of style, each featuring unique ensembles as well as many traditional looks expected of the average BC student.

The models, most of whom were BC undergraduates recruited to participate by their friends and classmates in the UGBC, wore their own clothes to represent their personal style. Audience members learned about them not only through their outfits, but also through quirky facts about their personalities shared by the show’s hosts, Hannah Robertson and Grant Slingerland, both A&S ’15.

This strong sense of self-representation from students of wide-ranging styles and backgrounds embodied the ultimate goal of the show.

“Our mission was to try to showcase a different kind of diversity, diversity through style and fashion,” said Klevis Baholli, assistant director of programming for GLC and A&S ’15. “We see lots of hip and trendy styles [around campus], and those people deserve attention.”

Since the idea for the show came about earlier this fall, a four-person committee worked to organize the event. The committee included Robertson and Baholli, as well as Andrew Engber, campus awareness coordinator for the Community Relations department and A&S ’15, and Alex Taratuta, director of programming for GLC and A&S ’14. They were charged with planning the location, lighting, music, and coordination with fashion rental website Rent the Runway, which was on hand with gift cards for those who signed up for a free membership.

In its first year, the collaborative effort between the UGBC Cabinet and GLC ultimately took over two months of preparation, resulting in what Baholli called BC’s first legitimate fashion show.

To start off the show, students showed off their style for attending classes, with dominant trends of scarves, boots, cardigans, and North Face backpacks at the forefront of the ensembles. Looks ranged from simple staple outfits to bolder, more unique attire, such as hipster and rocker fashions that departed from the traditional preppy BC style.

The realm of extracurricular activities truly displayed the diversity in the interests and talents of BC students, as the audience was treated to everything from performance outfits for Fuego and the Heightsmen to a cycling team uniform (which, even though made of spandex, was still adorned with a preppy argyle pattern).

For the third realm of style, the models were paired up for themed dates fit for the approaching winter season, including nights out on the town in parkas and boots, ice skating outings, and even matching Santa outfits for a Christmas party.

Finally, more formal looks for going out were featured, and the section was clearly dominated by the “little black dress” for girls, though each had a different unique element to show off the wearer’s personal style. Sky-high heels and big bold jewelry complimented   many of the outfits. Male models showed off classy looks in suits and blazers with patterned shirts and ties.

Slingerland, a member of GLC who was asked to co-host only a week prior to the show, kept the audience engaged with one-liners woven into his fashion commentary and small talk as the show transitioned from realm to realm. Although he had never hosted before, he was chosen for his outgoing personality and fashion expertise, elements that he said he hopes to bring out again if the fashion show becomes an annual event.