UGBC transparency sets encouraging precedent

The Heights applauds UGBC for releasing its budget, and urges students to examine its allocation

Published: Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Students at Boston College have long asked that the UGBC become more transparent in its decision-making processes. This year, the UGBC Senate has taken a significant step in the right direction by releasing its budget to The Heights for publication. The Heights appreciates the Senate’s willingness to follow through on its promise and applauds it for being honest and open to criticism. Becoming more transparent, especially where students’ money is concerned, shows the undergraduate community that their student government truly cares about their wellbeing while at BC.

The Heights encourages students to take an active role in the way their school is run. Look at the budget carefully to see how your money is being allocated. If you have concerns or questions about the current breakdown of funds, contact the UGBC to express them. The UGBC’s first and most important role is to serve the students, and if said students are feeling ignored or taken advantage of they have a right to question their student government. Neither the students nor the UGBC should be isolated. Instead, a steady stream of communication between the two should be created in order to improve the quality of student life.

Releasing the budget is certainly a start, but this action sets a precedent for future transparency. The student body will expect the Senate and other branches of the UGBC to continue in this vein and disclose more information in the future. By doing so, students will feel less excluded from important decisions, and the UGBC will continue to establish itself as a more credible and representative institution at BC.