University Mourns The Loss Of Fulbright Scholar

Kelly Dalla Tezza, BC '11, Killed In Tragic Car Accident

News Editor

Published: Monday, March 19, 2012

Kelly Dalla Tezza, BC ’11, died Friday in a tragic car accident while working in Morocco on a Fulbright scholarship.

Dalla Tezza, who graduated last May with a degree in Islamic Studies and Civilization, won a Fulbright scholarship to study the success of women in Bahraini politics and examine the prospects for similar success in other countries of the region.

The accident occurred near Rabat, Morocco, where Dalla Tezza spoke at a Fulbright conference on Friday, according to CBS Baltimore. While driving back from the conference, a tire blew out in her car and Dalla Tezza lost control of the vehicle. The other passengers of the car survived, but Dalla Tezza did not.

Dorothy Smith, a close friend of Dalla Tezza’s and BC ’09, remarked that she was “an amazing young woman.”

“Most of all, I think she made the most of all her life experiences—she truly embraced time in different Middle Eastern countries and had an ability to make connections with a diverse group of people,” Smith said. “She was beginning a distinguished career and we often talked about different opportunities for her in the future.”

Dalla Tezza had been accepted to graduate school at Harvard University, Johns Hopkins University, and George Washington University, but had not yet decided where she would enroll.

1 comments