VOLLEYBALL: BC Downed In Three Sets By Clemson And Georgia Tech

Published: Monday, October 29, 2012

The Boston College volleyball team suffered two tough 3-0 losses this weekend in Power Gym against Clemson and Georgia Tech.

Yesterday afternoon, the Eagles lost to the Yellow Jackets in three sets: 25-16, 25-20, and 25-22. Kellie Barnum tallied her fourth double-double of the year with 23 assists and 10 digs, but it wasn’t enough to put BC on top.

Friday night, BC started off strong at the beginning, earning the first point for each of their sets. The match had significant swings in momentum, though, and the Eagles were unable to stay consistent throughout.

Despite the loss, a number of BC players  shone in the match. Junior Melissa McTighe had eight kills in the match, a team-high. Freshman Kameron McLain and senior Krystal Higgins each posted six kills. Barnum significantly aided the effort, distributing a team-high 22 assists.

“At this point, we’re not the tallest team in the conference or the highest jumping, but we do have to be the hardest working,” said head coach Chris Campbell. “We’ve got to get contributions from a number of people. Certainly, Courtney Castle is one of our leaders out there.”
Castle tallied an impressive 16 digs this match. BC lost the first set 25-18, although play was fairly even early on. Six of Castle’s 16 digs were posted in the first set, keeping the Eagles in the game.   
The second set proved to be a loss of momentum for BC. Although Clemson had more attack and service errors, its aggressive style of play paid off in a 25-12 win. The Tigers outhit the Eagles .405 to .087 in the set, as passing on the Eagles’ side began to break down.   
After a tough second set, the Eagles came out strongest in the third set, with a 5-0 run early on to bring the score to 8-3. The Eagles held onto their margin, and with the help of some impressive kills by Higgins, they eventually brought the score to a 14-7 lead. Clemson made a 5-1 run to bring the score to 15-12, and then a 6-0 run to tie the game at 20-20. The two teams traded points until the Tigers eventually won 25-22.   
As Clemson kept a consistent level of intensity, the Eagles’ passing  broke down, leaving the center with limited options. In future matches, the Eagles hope to be able to keep up with the opponents’ changes in pace.

“In order to be successful, we’ve got to maintain that for an entire match, not just for stretches,” Campbell said. “Set two reflects what happens when we don’t play with that intensity.”