VOLLEYBALL: BC Takes Two Out Of Three

BC Continues To Improve, Tallies First ACC Win

Published: Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Boston College volleyball team took two out of three games over the weekend while taking part in the Spring Hill Suites at Arundel Mills Invitational, sandwiching a loss to No. 15 ranked Tennessee between wins over George Washington and conference foe Maryland. The Eagles used a balanced attack and some timely defense as they improved their record to 6-4 while winning their ACC opener.

The Eagles closed out their weekend with a four-set win over George Washington. After losing the first set 25-21, BC managed to steal a tightly contested second set 25-23, before dominating in the third and winning 25-17. The fourth and final set was another hard fought affair, but the Eagles managed to hold off a late George Washington rally and take the set and the match at 28-26. Head coach Chris Campbell spoke about the team’s improved play from the earlier game and mentioned the balance he saw in the attack.

“In the afternoon against George Washington we got a little better,” Campbell said. “I liked to see us overcome some adversity there after a loss. One of the girls we’ve been relying on a little bit, Katty Workman, just had an off day hitting so we had to find offense from other places. And in the long run, that’s going to be good for us.”
The morning game saw the Eagles matched up with a tough Tennessee team that proved to be too much to overcome. BC got out to a slow start in the first set and the Lady Vols took advantage, winning easily by a score of 25-9.  Despite a better effort over the rest of the game, the Eagles were beaten soundly 25-11 and 25-18 and fell in straight sets. Campbell was not pleased with the way his team played and admitted that such a slow start made things much more difficult.

“We really showed up not ready to play,” Campbell said.  “Whether that’s residue from the night before and getting the ACC win [against Maryland] or just being an early morning match, I’m not exactly sure.  We didn’t have them ready to go and Tennessee has three All-SEC players on their roster and they took advantage.”
The Eagles started their tournament with a game against Maryland that served as the conference opener for both teams. With a big crowd on hand, BC came out strong and downed the Terripans 25-23 in an intense first set. The Eagles then won a dominating second set at 25-14 before Maryland came back with an impressive 25-16 win of their own.  The two teams traded points for the majority of the fourth set, but BC came out on top, taking the set 25-22 and the game by three sets to one.  With an ACC win under his belt and a big win in the books, Campbell spoke of the design and execution of his team’s game plan.

“We went in with a game plan to try and force Maryland out of some of the things they do well and force them into some secondary options,” said Campbell.  “We were able to do that successfully while mustering enough offense of our own to come out on top.”
The 2-1 weekend leaves the team at 6-4, with full ACC play less than two weeks away. Campbell spoke of his team’s performance, saying that while he was happy with the results of the weekend, there are many things that need to be improved on before getting into the meat of the schedule.

“Going into the weekend, that’s what we wanted to get,” Campbell said. “Everything else was gravy.  We felt that the two we wanted to get were George Washington and especially Maryland.  To get a road ACC win under our belts so early is a good sign.  So we’re happy with the weekend. Not overjoyed since we had some opportunities to play better, but again we got the results we wanted. It’s not cause for huge celebration, but we definitely made progress.”