VOLLEYBALL: Eagles Face Tough ACC Foes

Elite Florida State And Miami Squads Travel To Chestnut Hill For Weekend Matchups

Published: Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Boston College volleyball team will look to build on some early-season success when it hosts ACC foes No. 12 FSU and Miami on Friday and Sunday. The Seminoles and the Hurricanes are currently tied for first in ACC play at 6-1. And while the Eagles have gotten off to a much faster start than in previous years, head coach Chris Campbell knows just how difficult these two matches will be.

“Anytime you play top-level teams it’s a test,” Campbell said. “They’re ranked that high because they do a lot of things well. For us, we’re very young. At any one time, we’ll have three or four freshmen or sophomores on the court, so it’s a bit of a test of our maturity level to see if we can remain composed and stay focused on what we’re trying to execute. The ability to do that becomes increasingly more difficult as the level of the opponent rises.”
The Eagles open against a hot Seminole squad that has started the season strong with an overall record of 14-2 overall. After dropping two consecutive games earlier in the season, Florida State has won its last eight and has not dropped a set in its last two. Campbell acknowledged the challenge that his opponent presents and admits that pulling off the upset in Friday’s game will not be easy.

“They’re good, they’re one of the top 15 or 20 teams in the country,” Campbell said. “They’re big. On average, they’re probably the tallest team in the conference. They’ve got some really good size up front so they can block effectively. Offensively they don’t have any weak links, so it’s a different challenge than what we’ve faced so far in the conference season. There are some habits and tendencies that we can try to exploit, but there’s no hitters that you can ignore. Anyone in their lineup can hurt you.”
BC will close out its weekend with Miami. The Hurricanes come in with a record of 14-3, riding a three-game winning streak of their own. Miami also managed to knock off Florida State 3-1 a month ago, solidifying its spot as a contender in ACC play. A bad loss to Virginia Tech knocked them out of the top 25 a few weeks ago, but the team has responded and appears to be back in form.

“Miami’s biggest weapon is their speed,” Campbell said. “They run a fast offense, they really force the middle attack, and they’ve got good, athletic middles who have got a good range of shots and can hit to all areas of the court. So defending them is a matter of catching up with them. It’s a different style than Florida State, and part of the challenge is going to be preparing for two teams with such a different playing style.”
The Eagles enter the weekend with a record of 10-9 overall and 4-3 in ACC play. Two wins last weekend pushed them above .500 and matched their ACC win totals from the last two years combined. Facing the top two teams in the ACC gives the team a chance to continue on its recent success and find the consistency that has eluded it in past seasons. BC will continue to look to its underclassmen to make big plays, with freshmen Franny Hock and Katty Workman and sophomore Courtney Castle having already established themselves as key members of the team.