VOLLEYBALL: Florida St., Miami Sweep BC

Published: Monday, November 19, 2012

In mid-November, the Boston College women’s volleyball team finds itself nearly at the end of journey it began three months ago. Early in the season, head coach Chris Campbell identified the team’s key to success for the upcoming 2012 season, and has since seen the reality of his words come to fruition.

“The hallmark of great teams is consistency, being able to do good things repetitively, and right now we do good things, just not quite often enough,” Campbell said at the time.

After Friday night’s 3-0 straight sets loss to No. 24 Miami and Sunday afternoon’s loss to No. 11 Florida State, consistency hurt the Eagles again, as they have lost 12 matches in a row dating back to Oct. 12. The only things consistent in the team’s loss this past Friday night was the play of sophomore co-captain Kellie Barnum and the scores of the sets, which were 25-15, 25-15, and 25-16.

The bright spot of the night, Barnum had a team-high 23 assists at the Knight Sports Complex in Miami. For the 17th time this season, the team leader finished with 20 or more assists. Despite her play, Barnum was no match for the ACC’s leader in assists per set, Nrithya Sundaraman. The always troublesome Sundaraman put up a game-high 34 assists, dominating as she did against the Eagles on Oct. 15 in Chestnut Hill.

After going down early in the two opening sets, the Eagles seemed poised for a comeback in the third set. With the score tied at 9-9, the Eagles were pushing and had hardly given up. But Miami displayed what had made them No. 24 in the nation and went on an 11-3 run to close the book on a BC comeback and end their losing streak. The 11-3 run gave Miami a cushion, as they coasted to another victory, improving to 24-4 overall and 16-2 in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

BC continued its road trip on Sunday afternoon against an even tougher opponent in No. 11 Florida State. The match finished in the Seminoles’ favor in the straight-set loss. Florida State won the sets 25-22, 25-13, and 25-22. Despite the shutout victory for the Seminoles, the match was much closer than 3-0 indicated. In the first set, BC held leads at 9-8 and 15-13, but they were no match for FSU’s preseason All-ACC pick Sareea Freeman, who led the oppositions offense with 13 total kills on .524 hitting. As the ACC’s leader in kills and hitting percentage, Florida State was a difficult matchup for the young Eagle team. While the loss was a major hit for BC, its close-set losses against a top team in the country proved that the Eagles have hardly given up on the season.

BC has just one more match left. After the devastating losing steak, a major upset would go a long way toward redeeming their season.