VOLLEYBALL: Hurricanes Drop BC In Five Sets

Published: Monday, October 15, 2012

On Sunday, the Boston College Eagles faced off against the University of Miami Hurricanes in Power Gym. It was a high-energy environment, with a crowd of 280. The match went to five sets, but ultimately the Eagles fell to the Hurricanes, 3-2.

The Eagles played a hard four sets, winning the second and the fourth. But Miami took the first and the third set and then gained a commanding lead in the fifth set. BC was unable to rally and the set went to Miami 15-10.

The University of Miami is currently ranked No. 1 in the ACC with an 8-1 record. Its overall record is 16-3.

Head coach Chris Campbell recognized the Hurricanes as a tough opponent and praised his team for taking them to five sets.

“Miami is a great program, and taking it to five was great,” he said. “It’s tough to get behind and then come back in a 15-point set, but we hung on until the end.”
The first set was close, with each team fighting for a lead. Though it appeared that BC was coming out strong with an early advantage, the University of Miami quickly matched it and rallied to win the set 28-26. Each team tallied 17 kills in the first set.

The Eagles came back with a vengeance to take home the second set. They quickly gained a lead and maintained it until the end, winning the set 25-16.

Miami gained momentum after the second set and was able to win the third set 25-18.

The Eagles dominated in the fourth set, capitalizing on the adrenaline that came from losing the third frame. Miami seemed to have lost some of the momentum that it had gained. BC brought its lead to 13-5 just before the Hurricanes called a timeout. After the timeout, the Eagles maintained the lead and won the set 25-11.

The pressure was on for both teams going into the fifth set. Miami gained a lead and at the half way mark, when the teams switched sides, the score was 8-5. The Hurricanes held on to the lead until the end, winning the set 15-10 and the match 3-2.

Both teams had strong showings from key players. For BC, freshman Katty Workman continued to demonstrate her role as a power player. She tallied 18 kills and 19 digs. Sophomore Courtney Castle led the team with kills, racking up 22. She also tallied 16 digs. Current ACC Freshman of the Week, libero Franny Hock, led the team in digs with 30.

“We have a young team this year, with only one or two upperclassmen on the court at one time,” Campbell said, “but the entire team contributed today, and I am proud of the effort they put forth.”
For Miami, junior Alex Johnson and sophomore Savanah Leaf led the team in kills, each with 16. Junior libero Ryan Shaffer notched 30 digs in the match. The strong showing from these players helped to lead the Hurricanes to their victory over the Eagles.

This loss to Miami follows the Eagles’ loss to Florida State on Friday. Yet, as Campbell acknowledged, this is the toughest stretch of the season for the Eagles.

“We knew going into this weekend that this was going to be the toughest stretch of the season and now we are going on the road, which will be tough.”