WOMEN'S BASKETBALL: Cougars Bounced From Conte

Published: Monday, November 19, 2012

The energy was high on Thursday in Conte Forum as the Boston College women’s basketball team defeated Brigham Young University 62-56 in the Eagles’ home opener. BC was unable to gain a lead at the end of the first half, but it came back with a vengeance in the second half to secure the win.

This was the Eagles’ second win of the early season, the first coming last week against Holy Cross. Head coach Erik Johnson, however, recognized that BYU was a different team from Holy Cross, and he was proud of his team’s ability to adapt quickly in a short period of time.

“BYU is a different animal than Boston University or Holy Cross,” Johnson said. “They were able to say, all right we need to play a little different and really change [the game].”

In the first half, the Eagles were unable to secure a lead, despite strong defense and notable performances by key players. Although the Cougars initially seemed overpowered by the Eagles’ defense, they were able to gain an early lead.

Key contributions came from juniors Tessah Holt and Katie Zenevitch. In the first half, Holt made strong cuts to the basket, and Zenevitch was unstoppable on the boards. The center tallied eight rebounds in the first half, more than double anyone else on the team.

Although the lead changed three times in the first half, the Cougars came out with the 24-21 lead.

BC started out strong in the second half despite being behind. BC put up impressive numbers, shooting 61 percent from the floor, while BYU only shot 48 percent from the floor.

Johnson attributed the turnaround to his team’s work ethic and determination to win.

“BYU is so tough, so physical, so to watch our kids be able to take a couple punches, figuratively, and be able to come back and give our own back was really, really fun,” Johnson said.

The final score was 62-56, and it was a gratifying win for the Eagles. They only had one day of rest coming off of the Holy Cross game and they had to change their game dramatically in order to compete with a team like BYU.  
Zenevitch was the leading scorer for the Eagles. She had a double-double with 16 points and 12 rebounds. Also putting up impressive numbers were Holt, Kristen Doherty, and freshman Nicole Boudreau. Holt and Doherty had 15 points each and Boudreau had 11. Doherty also had seven rebounds, and she hit 3-of-5 from the three-point arc.

With a large amount of upperclassmen on the team this season, Johnson stressed the importance of leadership in Thursday’s game as well as its importance as they progress through the rest of the season.

“Leadership is something that we have been talking about a lot because the players have to learn that it is a skill, just like dribbling, shooting, or passing the basketball,” Johnson said. “And even though they are upperclassmen, they are learning and developing every single day. Today was a conflict situation, BYU is so tough, and leadership had a lot to do with dealing with that.”