WOMEN'S HOCKEY: Back And Forth Game Ends In Tie

Published: Monday, November 5, 2012

womenshockey

Captain Blake Bolden fired in her first two goals of the season to keep the No. 8 Boston College women’s hockey team (3-3-1, 2-2-1 Hockey East) in the game, as they drew to a 5-5 final score against its in-town rivals, the No. 3 Boston University Terriers (7-2-1, 3-1-1 Hockey East). The game, played on Saturday afternoon at Kelley Rink, the game was the second of a two-game set with BU last week—the first was a 7-1 win for the Eagles on Wednesday.

Head coach Katie King Crowley said that she did not change anything from the previous matchup.   
“When you win like we did on Wednesday—it was a fun game for our kids—we were hoping that they would feed off of that energy,” Crowley said. “We just talked about having focus for 60 minutes. When we make the little mistakes, sometimes [the opposition] ends up capitalizing on them, so we have to learn to not make those little mistakes anymore.”

The Eagles got off to a quick start on Saturday, with a Kate Leary goal less than two minutes into play. Meagan Mangene grabbed the assist, after Leary bagged up her shot on the rebound.

However, BU fought back, however, and Louise Warren scored two goals in quick succession. For her first, Warren traveled all the way behind the net and swung around with a quick shot. Warren netted her second from mid-range when she found herself open in the middle of the slot. Warren would end the night with three goals, acquiring her first career hat trick.

The Eagles had more in their tank, though, as Bolden netted her first score of the game and of the season. After taking shot after shot from distance, Bolden glided toward the goal with less than a minute left in the first period and tallied thean equalizer. for the Eagles, her first goal of the season.

Bolden struck again at the beginning of the second period with a long-range effort to give BC a 3-2 lead.

Once again, BU responded, and Isabel Menard leveled the score at 3-3 at the end of the second period.

Reminiscent of the first period, BC grabbed a quick first goal at the beginning of the third, as Alex Carpenter charged down the left flank and drove the puck into the back of the net, but then BU responded with two more goals of its own. Shannon Stoneburgh and Warren both swept in from close range to find the back of the net, putting the Terriers up 5-4 with less than 13 minutes left to play.

Around four minutes later, freshman Lexi Bender seized an open shot after a long stretch of BC possession and forced the game into overtime with a goal to make it 5-5.

Neither team managed to find the back of the net in that extra five-minute period, and the game ended with an even score.

“I was just trying to find a way to score that goal. At that time, we shortened the bench quite a bit, and were trying to get kids out there that were going to find a way to score a goal,” Crowley said. “We weren’t able to do it, but we had some nice chances and made some nice plays.”

Crowley was happy with her team’s performance on the day.

“Yeah, you always want to win, so I’m not completely satisfied,” Crowley said. “But I think our kids worked hard and did the things we asked them to do for the most part. You’re playing against the No. 3 team in the country, so we knew it was going to be a battle, and I was happy with the way the kids came out.”

BC ended the game with more than double the shots that BU had, and forced 38 saves from Terriers goalkeeper Kerrin Sperry.

“Now we are done with BU for a little while, anyways,” Crowley said. “Maybe we’ll be able to see them in the Beanpot. It was definitely a good series to feed off of, and definitely propel us to the next couple of games here.”