WOMEN'S HOCKEY: BC Comes Back To Fly By UNH In Second Half Of Home And Home

Assoc. Sports Editor

Published: Sunday, October 21, 2012

Yesterday, the Boston College women’s ice hockey team defeated the University of New Hampshire, 5-2, behind a full team effort at Kelley Rink. The Eagles (1-2-0, 1-2-0 WHEA), coming off a close 4-3 loss to the Wildcats (3-2-0, 1-2-0) on Saturday, saw at least one score from each line in yesterday’s victory, including a two-goal effort from freshman Haley Skarupa. The two scores were Skarupa’s first goals of her career.

The Eagles flew out of the gate in the first period. The first line of Emily Field, Alex Carpenter, and Skarupa gave the Wildcats’ defense a hard time by creating several breakaway opportunities. Despite these chances, the first score of the game came off the stick of sophomore Kate Leary for her first goal of the season. At the 16-minute mark, sophomore goaltender Moe Bradley was facing tough traffic in front of the net. Leary was able to force her stick through the crowd and flip the puck over Bradley’s glove side to put the Eagles up 1-0. The rest of the period saw some back-and-forth scoring opportunities, but BC goaltender Corinne Boyles and Bradley were able to make the necessary stops and keep it a one-goal game.

The second period saw much of the same, as the Eagles outshot the Wildcats eight to four. At the 11:26 mark, defenseman Jackie Young was sent to the box for cross-checking, giving UNH the power-play opportunity. Despite being shorthanded, Skarupa was able to give her team the advantage. The freshman rushed the net, and was found by Carpenter, who fed her a perfect pass. Skarupa hit the back of the net to put BC up 2-0.

Heading into the third period, BC looked to contain the Wildcats and preserve its lead, but UNH put instant pressure on its opponent. Only 39 seconds into the final frame, Kristine Horn flew toward net, and ripped a shot past Boyles to cut the Eagles’ lead in half. Kristina Lavoie assisted on the goal.

The Eagles retook their two-goal advantage at the midpoint of the period when Ashley Motherwell shelved a shot in front of the net. On a power play, BC was overwhelming UNH goaltender Vilma Vaattovaara with heavy traffic in front of the goal, and Motherwell found space to get off the shot.

BC increased its lead less than two minutes later when Kristina Brown found open space in the left circle, and launched a shot to increase her team’s lead to 4-1. The Wildcats would not go down quietly, however, as forward Jessica Hitchcock scored a power-play goal with less than five minutes left in the period. Lavoie was credited with her second assist of the day. The Eagles sealed their victory with an empty-net score from Skarupa, her second goal of the game.

The Eagles got goals from all four of their lines, and outshot the Wildcats 27-20. Head coach Katie King Crowley was impressed with her team’s full-team effort.

“That’s actually something that after [Saturday’s] loss we had talked about,” she said. “We need to make sure that we’re using everyone on the ice. Whatever line it is out there, we need to use everybody and make it a team game, rather than an individual game. We did a much better job of that today.”
On Saturday, the Eagles were on the other end of the scoreboard against the Wildcats, losing a close 4-3 matchup in Durham, N.H. UNH took the 1-0 lead at the 11:11 mark of the first period, however freshman Dana Trivigno scored her first career goal to tie it up two minutes later. The Eagles outplayed their opponent in the second period, outshooting the host team 17-7. BC took the lead when Meghan Grieves scored her first goal as an Eagle, and pulled ahead by two when Trivigno tallied her second score of the game.

The Wildcats started their comeback when Horn scored at the 13:10 mark to make the score 3-2. Despite a 25-18 shot advantage through the first two periods, UNH owned the final frame when Sara Carlson and Alexis Crossley scored goals just a minute apart. The Eagles were unable to overcome the quick loss of momentum, and lost the one-goal decision.

Crowley was proud of the way her team handled the tough Saturday loss, and remained poised in its Sunday victory.

“We have a fairly young team, and I thought they did a great job coming off a tough loss yesterday,” she said. “They really changed their mentality, and came out strong today.”
Yesterday, just as in the previous game, the Eagles saw UNH put forth a strong offensive effort in the final frame—however, in the Sunday matchup, they were able to maintain their composure for the whole game.

“We just have to try to stick to basics in that case, and I think that we still tried to do a little too much when just getting to the right spot and getting it deep, and putting the pressure back on them is enough,” Crowley said. “That’s all I talked to them about. They’ll learn from those situations, and turn it around, and put that pressure back on them when they face that pressure. I thought we started to do that, but when we get into penalties it gets tough. But I thought our kids did a pretty good job of killing them off at the end.”