WOMEN'S HOCKEY: Eagles Come Back To Route Friars

Heights Senior Staff

Published: Thursday, November 8, 2012

Behind a stellar second period comeback, in which a steady offensive onslaught by the No. 7 Boston College women’s hockey team (4-3-1 overall, 3-2-1 WHEA) produced three goals, the Eagles accomplished on Wednesday night at Kelley Rink what no other WHEA team had thus far in 2012: taking down the Providence Friars (6-4-1, 4-1-0) by a healthy score of 6-1.

“I thought our first period was a little shaky, and then I thought we really came on strong,” said head coach Katie King Crowley. “We preach to our kids a lot about playing a full 60 minutes of hockey. That team caught us off guard a little bit, but we’ve got to be prepared for that. I really like the way we came back and really put the game out of reach there. It was a really great job by our kids.”
The Eagles came on strong in the beginning of play, taking a quick 7-1 shot advantage through efficient distribution of the puck. BC registered 12 in the first period alone, but was consistently thwarted by freshman goaltender Sarah Bryant. The Bethlehem, Pa. native continued her incredible run by consistently sliding over to match the Eagles’ quick passes with graceful stops.

Bryant has been one of the primary contributors to Providence’s surprising success and first-place standing in the WHEA. In her seven games entering last night’s contest, she held a 5-1-1 record with an outstanding .900 save percentage, allowing just 2.13 goals per game.

“She’s a freshman, but she’s a really good goaltender,” Crowley said. “I thought we did a great job just getting shots on her, getting to the net, and really just making nice plays. I think we can make against any team that we play once we get going.”
The Eagles finally got to Bryant, though, when the Friars couldn’t stay out of the penalty box. After being denied its first two times out, the third and fourth times were the charm for BC’s special teams.

The second period bombardment was underway.

After a cross check from Lexi Slattery, freshman Dana Trivigno knotted her third goal of the year from point blank that allowed BC to set the score even at 1-1 at 9:30. Less than five minutes later, another man advantage at 14:14 gave Carpenter the chance she needed to put a hard shot by Bryant right in front of the net. Just like that, the Eagles possessed a 2-1 lead they wouldn’t relinquish.

In fact, BC only added to its fantastic second period. At 18:15, the Eagles netted their third goal of the frame when sophomore Emily Field snuck one through a crowded crease for a 3-1 advantage.

“We’ve been waiting for our team to get to that point where we are scoring that many goals,” Crowley said of the offensive explosion. “I think we are finally at that point now.”
Despite minimal possession early in the game, the Friars struck first at 9:24 on just their second shot of the contest. Jessica Vella sent the puck nonchalantly to Rebecca Morse on her left, who then surprised the BC defense. As the senior made her way across the blue line, she fired a laser that raced past Eagles’ netminder Corinne Boyles to give Providence a 1-0 lead.

An early score didn’t faze Boyles, though, who finished with 16 consecutive saves down the stretch and kept the Friars from surging to a significant comeback.

Offensively, though, BC polished off the Friars in the final frame. Even with 35 saves, Bryant’s efforts went unheralded in the end. The Eagles added three more goals from freshmen Haley Skarupa and Meghan Grieves, as well as sophomore Kate Leary. Leary’s goal, in particular, also counted for freshman Lexi Bender’s third assist of the game.

Providence came into the contest with an all-time record of 50-16-3 against the Eagles. The Friars had yet to be defeated in WHEA play until Wednesday. The Eagles improved to 3-2-1 at Kelley Rink this season, and have now scored 18 goals in their past three games.