WOMEN'S HOCKEY: Eagles Get Revenge, Crush BU

Published: Friday, November 2, 2012

The No. 8 Boston College women’s ice hockey team had an impressive victory over the No. 3 Boston University Terriers on Halloween night, ending with a final score of 7-1. The game went especially well for sophomore Alex Carpenter, who executed her first career hat trick in addition to two assists for the Eagles. 

“Alex played great,” said head coach Katie King Crowley. “She made a lot of nice plays and did the things we asked her to do.”

The Eagles came out strong from the very first period, with senior Taylor Wasylk knocking in the first goal of the game just 4:47 in.

During the first period, the Terriers tested goaltender Megan Miller, a sophomore, with 15 shots but to no avail. BC in turn took 14 shots at BU’s goaltender.

The second period saw even more success for the Eagles as Carpenter added two goals and sophomore Emily Field added another. The Terriers’ Marie-Phillip Poulin managed to get one past Miller near the end of the period, scoring off her own rebound. By the end of the second period, the score was 4-1, with BC taking 25 shots to BU’s 30.

The Eagles solidified their victory in the third period. Carpenter scored her third goal off of a rebound on a power play, and freshman Meghan Grieves added another tally nearly seven minutes into the period, bringing the score to 6-1. Kristina Brown scored the final goal of the game for BC. At the other end of the ice, Miller tallied 32 saves throughout the game.

Wednesday’s game was an important win for the Eagles, who previously lost to the Terriers in their first game of the season by a score of 4-2. Crowley feels experience and confidence made a big difference in the level of play BC displayed in this second game.

“In the first game there were nerves and anxiousness that we didn’t have this game,” Crowley said. “We’re a fairly young team … our kids learned how to put [that loss] behind them and move forward. This game we were a lot more comfortable and ready to go from the first puck drop.”

Crowley values BC’s win against the Terriers as an important win considering BU’s strength as a team. The Eagles took their experiences in their first encounter with the Terriers and developed a more specific strategy for the second time around.

“They have some very good hockey players, one of them being Marie-Phillip Poulin,” Crowley said. “She was someone that we focused on and we told our kids to be aware when she was out there. She did have one goal but we were able to shut her down a little bit.”

The Eagles, who currently have a record of 3-3 overall and 3-2 within Hockey East, will face the Terriers again this coming Saturday at Kelley Rink. They will then take on the Providence College Friars on Wednesday, Nov. 7 in Rhode Island.